Gunners in Medical School

Hi folks,
I was just catching up on my NPR Joe Wright commentaries and I heard his commentary on “Gunners”. Once again, Joe has nailed this type of medical student with clarity. Joe’s piece totally awesome.
Here’s the link: Gunners by Joe Wright
Enjoy! It’s a great piece.
Natalie

Hmmmm…this piece should be considered as a potential presentation for the upcoming conference in DC. Game Joe?

Terrific piece Joe!!! Dealing with arrogant people in general is such a chore, but in medicine it can be deadly!

Thoughtful commentary…thanks for sharing!
Shirl

Quote:

Terrific piece Joe!!! Dealing with arrogant people in general is such a chore, but in medicine it can be deadly!

Hi there,
Yes, Joe has a wonderful piece but as the head “gunner” of my class, I haven’t killed anyone yet.
Natalie

That is why I like VCOM. We don’t have to deal with gunners. Everyone helps each other out. It is a greta way to learn with 156 type A personalities.

Hey guys,
I’m really stoked that you liked that piece. I myself wasn’t fond of it after I filed it, if only because talking smack about gunners on the radio was perhaps an act of out-gunner-ing the gunners. But, lots of folks have recognized the description as something they’ve seen before.
cheers
joe

Joe, are you holding back on us here? Is this a series you’ve been doing on NPR???
Where was I? I’ve been around since this was an email list. Nice piece, Joe, and you have a nice radio voice too!
I could recognize the gunner type, but am pleased to report that at MSUCOM, I haven’t met any hoarders of knowledge or beraters of others.

Hi Joe, It’s Barb, past prez of the post baccs at SFSU. re: the Gunners piece – I had to bite my tongue on the SFSU email when a Gunner recently posted his statistics (outstanding, of course) for all to see. I nearly referenced your piece but civility prevailed.

…and if there are 3 words in the English language that I would eliminate, it would be “right, right, right”–Gunnerspeak for “of course I already knew that, you just reminded me”.

It is sad that these folks will always have to have the ego pumping phenomenon via talking about what they got on X or Y exam, how smart they are…truly sad. Patients could give a flip about your exam scores.

I lurk here from time to time but I just had “come out” to add my own experience with Gunners in medical school. In response to Gunners during basic science lectures, many others would sometimes engage in playing “Gunner Bingo”. At the beginning of the first year, we were provided with a class composite photo sheet. These were photocopied and the individual Gunner photos were clipped out to make Bingo cards. During lecture, once a Gunner interrupted with his/her “show of knowledge”, the photo would be covered as would be done in regular bingo. Once a row was completed, you would hear a quiet “bingo” called out during lecture. Somehow, the professor lecturing never seemed to take notice.
Anyway, I always enjoy Joe’s commentaries and writings!

Quote:

I myself wasn’t fond of it after I filed it, if only because talking smack about gunners on the radio was perhaps an act of out-gunner-ing the gunners.

And that’s bad??

Quote:

Joe, are you holding back on us here? Is this a series you’ve been doing on NPR???

yep, here’s the link to all but the last two, the last of which ran on Friday:

http://studentweb.med.harvard.edu/JMW16/html/writing.html

Barb, hope things are going well for you.

joe

I have my own nickname for those gunners…front row divas… he he.

I have been sitting in the front row lately. Someone stole my glasses and I can’t see from my usual back row! - It’s hell getting old -
Fortunately I have relative few lecturs to go to these days
steve

He he the front row divas are just the usual gunner types sitting in the front row AND annoying the hell out of everyone by answering every question known to mankind at the speed of light…it is not for us old fogeys (well only in years though…) that need to sit up front to hear/see/or focus.