Has anyone had experience with professional consulting services?

I am currently a non-traditional pre med applicant. However, I am very interested in having a one on one consultation with someone who is knowledgeable about the process to review my transcripts. Is it worth me applying or should I purse a career in some other parts of medicine? I am currently a Therapist with 20 years experience in emergency medicine in hospital setting.

Thanks for all your help

I wonder about consultation services as well! There is one woman in particular that I bookmarked and I’ve also been curious about med school insiders.

I’m also a non-trad pre med. What other parts of medicine were you thinking about?

I am looking into the branches of 1. Dermatology 2. Emergency Medicine and 3. Orthopedics.

I am looking at counseling because I am not sure what to do. I want an honest hardcore critique of my transcripts etc. I do not want to go to a University counselor because they always say “take more classes” etc. But a counseling service there is no partiality in their opinion etc.

Good luck to you as well.

1 Like

Hi! I’ve had experience with professional consulting services. To provide some background, I recently applied to medical schools and was unsuccessful in getting accepted. My undergraduate BCPM and cumulative GPAs were 3.29 and 3.39, respectively. After undergrad, I went for a Master’s degree in Physiology, and my GPA was a 3.96. My MCAT score was a 513. I have close to 400 hours of clinical experience, although my clinical experience did not include much physician shadowing/observing.

After my unsuccessful applications, I had no idea what route to pursue. I was stuck between doing a special master’s program (SMP) and working to gain more clinical experience. I decided to invest in a professional consulting service, and they gave me some guidance as far as how to approach my application. They showed me what factors to consider if I decide to do an SMP like which schools have an affiliation/linkage program, a high matriculation rate, integrated clinical experience, etc. They also discussed my GPA with me and the possibility that the small ratio of hard science courses to seminars in my Master’s program may have not been enough to demonstrate my academic rigor. As someone who lacked advising for most of my time pursuing this career, it was really great to have someone who has been successful in this path to critique your application honestly and still build you up. I understand that professional counseling services are unaffordable for a lot of people, and that’s certainly the case for me. (I was very lucky in my situation to have found an affordable option.) But I think that it is a worthwhile investment, especially if you don’t have a lot of people to turn to who have been through this experience.

Thank you so much for replying. I decided to use a counselor as well.
Good luck on your journey and much success!

Thank you again for replying