Has something changed this seasons? (Seeking observations)

Good afternoon everyone~

Random question for the group: Does this year feel different from last year?

Last year I applied to 6 schools and didn’t get in. (MCAT 29, Overall 3.4, Science 3.75, Postbac 3.85, ten years removed from undergrad, military service, shadowing, volunteering med and non med, etc) However, I was immediately interviewed by both my state schools and (I’m told) I interviewed well.

This year I blitzed more: 30 schools, to include AMCAS, AACOMAS and TMDSAS. I reworked my statement with input from a a mentor and retired ADCOM director. I’ll finish my Masters in December. (4.0) I took additional science courses. (4.0) And this year I was denied an interview at my State schools. I’ve gotten zero feedback from other schools.

I’m at a bit of a loss and fighting a battle against nihilism. Has anyone experienced this?

Having applied last year, I know how anxious you are to get some news–any news. But remember that it’s only September. Some schools have barely started to look at applications, much less send out many interview invitation. I did have some early season interviews, but I also got two interviews very late–one in late January and one in late February. I got into both of those late interview schools.

In other words, don’t give up hope. There is lots and LOTS of time left.