Have a Felony Record. Can I obtain MD

Hello there,

A brief history of meself, I have a BS from and IVY league school, a Masters in Pharmaceutics and have worked for about 7 yrs now. I have a great opportunity to attend an offshore Med School on a beautiful Island, who have clinicals here in the State.

However, when I was a teen, I got involved with a Fraternity prank and to make a long story short, pleaded to a Felony charge of possesion of a weapon and attempted robbery… this happed 13 years ago.

Would I be able to obtain Medical Licensure? Or should I still be punished for what I did as an immature teenager and disregard all the accomplishments I’ve made thus far…

Anyone out there with some insight would be greatly appreciated…

First & foremost - you need to consult an attorney. Only someone much more familiar with the nuances of law can even begin to address this question. Furthermore, even if you would be licensible…depending upon individual states, I suspect…including a felony conviction, esp one involving robbery w/ a firearm, will likely make it most challenging to get too far in the app process.
Sorry, I cannot provide anything more than conjecture…

As always, YoungMan Dave’s advice is sound. But here is some background that may help you think about it.
While in graduate school (for sociology/social research), I was funded in a graduate assistantship as the coordinator for a state college extension program serving a New York State prison. Over the years I have kept in contact with several of the inmates who have now gotten out and on with their lives. I assisted one in getting a license as a ACSW (advanced certificate in social work) in New York State, who, by the way, not only got in and graduated from Columbia’s MSW program, and successfully rec’d a license, and now works managing a major social services system, all with at least as serious (if not more so) an offense as yourself and as an adult. In New York state some 30 some- professional licenses, including all the medical, are administered thru the state education department and have similar requirements for felonies convictions. It does not immediately bar you from licensing, but you need to pass a “professional character review.” This was basically a package of supporting letters basically saying he successfully graduated from our program However, in many ways, that is the last of the hurdles.
That was the carrot. Now for the stick.
From your age, it would appear that this may under a juvenile offense which MAY give you a little (note: little) assistance. Also, at least in New York, if you have a record, you need to get a “certificate from relief from civil disabilities” to hold a license (the person in the above story got his after successfully completing parole).
The biggest hurdle you have, in my opinion, would be on the AAMACS application where you must report and explain anything above a traffic ticket. How do you do so in a way that a medical school admissions committee see’s it as NOT blocking you from getting a license some four’s hence. (“why should this school waste time on you if you won’t be able to get a license?”)
You had a “juvenile” prank, that was not a drug or sex offense, that did not keep you from attending an ivy league, or indeed getting a masters in Pharm, and (I am assumuing) worked successfully in a related field with no hinderence in your professional life. Do you hold any professional license related to your Masters? If so, perhaps you already have the best evidence to support your ability to get a license in the future. Once you get in to Med School, getting a license after a successful 4 years will be a significantly easier hurdle to overcome
As I say to everyone, no matter the background or baggage, your chances may be small, but there are better than not trying at all.
By the way, another of former “students” who served many years (and is now in computers) wanted to get an EMT. In New York State it was harder to get a license as an EMT (full investigation, court records, letters of support) than it was to get a license as a ACSW.
Good luck
Rich

Thank you for the advice and experiences. Extremely helpful.
Best Regards.