Having a Family and Achieving Your Dreams

Hello!
I am currently an officer in the military at 24 years old. I have accomplished my goals in the Army and want to go back to school to become a physician! I plan on doing a 2 year post bacc starting in Fall 2021 to hopefully apply for the 2024 cycle. If this all goes as planned, I will be 32 when I graduate medical school (just rough beer math). My question is, when is the best time to start a family after medical school? Can you have a baby during residency? I absolutely want to become a doctor, but I don’t want to jeopardize my chances of having a family since I am a little older than the average person starting this journey! Thank you for any feedback and advice!

Hi!
You can absolutely have a baby during residency, many female physicians have done this and they seem to be satisfied. It’s very common actually. There is no best time, just whenever you are ready. It helps to have a good support group like your family that can be around to help you take care of your child. You will be fine, don’t let anyone tell you you can’t have kids during residency. Good luck on your journey!

You can absolutely have a baby during residency,

As long as you are supported, go for it. I will be 33 in August and I’ve been a chef for 15 years. I am married with two boys, 4yrs and 4months and I am just starting on my bachelors and eventually my MD. Even though I have an AAS I have a lot to catch up on. So believe me, I feel ya on this topic. Pursue your dreams now and set your future family up for success!