Hawaiian medical school?

Does anyone know whether the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine is any good as far as medical schools go? I haven’t heard anything about them, but the thought of living in Hawaii is a very nice one so I figured I’d ask.

From the information I read about the school in the US News and World report book on medical schools, Hawaiin Medical School rarely take out of state students, if any. Double check with the school’s website first.

Well that sucks, I didn’t notice that. It says in their application process they give preference to resident applicants but exceptional out of state students are looked at, but they prefer that the out of state students have ties to Hawaii in some way. Hrm, well short of doing my undergrad there which isn’t too appealing considering the cost, I guess that’s out.
Did the report say anything about their residencies having the same restrictions?

From their website:
JABSOM’s mission is to teach and train high quality physicians, biomedical students, and allied health professionals for Hawai’i and the Pacific, and to conduct both clinical and basic research in areas of specific interest to our community and region. JABSOM is the most culturally and ethnically diverse medical school in the country and its student body mirrors the rich diversity of the state’s population.
They do have a postbacc
http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/JABSOM/about/index.php

Yeah I’m actually just thinking of going to school there for undergrad anyways now since after looking at their pre med program, it’s better then Chico’s by a lot. Neither of the colleges I was looking at here that looked good have both A&P 1 and 2 and actual doctors on the health professions advising committee.

Quote:

From the information I read about the school in the US News and World report book on medical schools, Hawaiin Medical School rarely take out of state students, if any. Double check with the school’s website first.

If you look in the current MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements book], you’ll see that JABSOM matriculated 17 non-residents (out of a class of 62). But in general, applicants with ties to Hawaii are preferred.
Cheers,
Judy