Hello..and some thoughts.

Hi folks,
Boy am I glad I found this site! I’ve been reading the posts here for a couple of days and I’m very encouraged by the stories from folks who are in the process of fulfilling their dreams.
I’ll give you a bit of background about me and then ask a question:
I’ve been interested in medicine and biology since I was very young, but my interest and aptitute for computer programming led me to choose that path for my “first” career. Now, at 28 (almost 29) I am seriously considering what I want to do for the rest of my life. I’ve decided writing code for the next 20 or 30 years isn’t for me, so I’m pondering what to do next.
I was recruited away from college by some former coworkers during my sophmore year back in 1996; I spent the intervening years building software and leading software development projects at a number of startups. I did very well in college (4.0 for 2 semesters) except for my last semester when I quit, which absolutely ruined my GPA (I think it’s a 2.notmuch currently). Jeeze - I sure wish I had just withdrawn! It was 1996 at the beginning of the tech boom, so I was sure I’d be retired by now. Ahh, youth.
My goal is to go back to school and complete my undergrad degree and in the meantime determine if medicine is really for me. I’m going to volunteer at local hospitals to get a “reality check” regarding medicine, as well as talk in depth with some of my MD friends about their experiences.
After extensive reading, I fully understand that abandoning my career and going for medical school would be hugely life-changing in every imaginable way. I need to know for certain that I am completely committed AND well informed about my choice. Consequently, I can’t toss all my eggs into the “pre-med” basket yet. OK, so given that, here’s my question:
I am planning to go back to school targetting a business degree. I will take (and viciously conquer) some of the sciences I need as pre-reqs (bio, chem, physics) during this time. If I discover “hey, I love medicine! I’m gonna go to medical school!” then I’ll be on a path which is heading in the right direction and will need to only add some courses to my business degree coursework. If on the other hand I decide “jeeze, I just don’t think so” then I’ll STILL be on a path with a positive (for me) outcome - an undergrad business degree.
The question: does this seem reasonable to you guys?
I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Liam

Hi Liam,
Welcome to OPM! The short answer to your question is that it’s the right thing to do if it works for you. It sounds trite but the fact is that you have to be excited about what you’re doing. If a business degree floats your boat, go for it. Volunteering at the hospital’s a great thing to do, humbling sometimes but worth every minute even when it’s not pleasant.
Good luck!

Quote:

I am planning to go back to school targetting a business degree. I will take (and viciously conquer) some of the sciences I need as pre-reqs (bio, chem, physics) during this time. If I discover “hey, I love medicine! I’m gonna go to medical school!” then I’ll be on a path which is heading in the right direction and will need to only add some courses to my business degree coursework. If on the other hand I decide “jeeze, I just don’t think so” then I’ll STILL be on a path with a positive (for me) outcome - an undergrad business degree.

Hi! And, Welcome!
Since medical schools are interested in admitting students with diverse academic backgrounds, earning a B.A. in Business won’t be a hinderance. That said, however, a B.A. in Business with stellar pre-reqs isn’t enough to convince admissions committees (adcoms) that you have the compassion and committment needed for a profession devoted to caring for the sick.
So, your idea to volunteer at a hospital is important to follow through on. In addition to volunteering at a local hospital, you can gain healthcare experience by volunteering at Free Clinics and Hospice. You can also learn about the ‘day in the life of a doctor’ by shadowing as many physicians as possible. All of these experiences will prove to yourself and to adcoms that medicine is your calling.
Good luck!
anita

I think your plan is solid. You can major in whatever you want and go to medical school, and a thoughtful approach that provides some sort of “backup” is likely to be an appealing feature of your application. Of course you will kick arse on the prereqs and impress someone during your volunteer work so that you have some good LORs along the way. It sounds like you’ve done a lot of thinking and I think your plan is sound.
Hey, my middle kid majored in business so that he could fly planes for the Navy so why not major in business to become a doctor?
Mary

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and give me feedback. I am really jazzed about the possibilities of actually pulling this off!

As I said in the original message, I need to make 200% sure this is for me (via school + volunteering + shadowing + deep continued introspection), but when I ask myself “or…what? what else could possibly be as uniquely challenging and rewarding as being a doctor?!” I almost have to stifle a chuckle…

Much food for thought. Luckily I have years to chew. :slight_smile:

Liam

I believe that some med schools offer a joint degree program MD-MBA. Perhaps this is something that would appeal to you.