Hello from Florida!

I am Ada from Tampa, FL, busy mom to 3 weapons of destruction ages 7, 5, and 2, and wife of 8-years.

Just completed my Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice, and hope to fulfill my premed requirements at the University of New Mexico this fall.

I look forward to learning as much as I can about the process and gather success tips on the way.

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to knowing you.

Ada

WELCOME TO OPM! You will quickly learn that we are a friendly & supportive lot of antiques who seek or have accomplished the feat of becoming a physician. You should, if at all feasible, consider coming to our conference in Chicago - info plastered all over the site!

Hi Ada, Welcome! Also, I’m also from Florida but on the East Coast and farther South. I just wanted to let you know that you have one of the nicest and most forthcoming medical school’s admission director/departments in your backyard. REL Larkin from the University of South Florida (despite the name is not in South Florida, but in Tampa) is very accessible. He will set up an appointment with you and go over your file (past history) and tell you what his particular as well as medical schools in general look for in applicants…you can use this to make you a stronger applicant, even if you are net yet ready to apply. He really is great…and I’d strongly recommend that you set up a meeting with him, even if you plan on leaving Florid for good. Good luck!

P.S. Why are you leaving Florida and Tampa in general? I may be calling Tampa home soon, so I’m curious

Greetings Ada! (and all!)

I’m in St. Petersburg… just south of you.

There are 2 med schools close by… LECOM-Bradenton (where I attend) and USF.

may not have to move after all…

welcome!

Hi Ada. I’m also a Floridian mom. I live in the panhandle, though… My kids are 15, 15, 11, & 7.

Good luck to you!

• iwant2bMD Said:
Hi Ada, Welcome! Also, I'm also from Florida but on the East Coast and farther South. I just wanted to let you know that you have one of the nicest and most forthcoming medical school's admission director/departments in your backyard. REL Larkin from the University of South Florida (despite the name is not in South Florida, but in Tampa) is very accessible. He will set up an appointment with you and go over your file (past history) and tell you what his particular as well as medical schools in general look for in applicants...you can use this to make you a stronger applicant, even if you are net yet ready to apply. He really is great...and I'd strongly recommend that you set up a meeting with him, even if you plan on leaving Florid for good. Good luck!

P.S. Why are you leaving Florida and Tampa in general? I may be calling Tampa home soon, so I'm curious

I am also in Tampa, and love USF, I graduated undergrad from their and am going back for post-bacc. But who is REL Larkin?

Fellow Floridian med student here. I just wanted to say that REL Larkin was formerly the admissions director of the USF medical school, but he’s now the head of admissions at the new UCF medical school.

How exciting all these Floridians!! I’m moving back down to Florida from NYC to finish up my BA in bio at FIU (where I started a few years ago)

Good to know there are many Floridians here!