Hello, hello, hello!

Hello everyone! I am so happy to have found you all (can you tell?). I’m Ganell, 36-years old, and just starting the whole undergraduate process. So, yeah, I’ll probably be around 42 when I apply to medical school.

I have a quick question (one of many to come, I’m sure). Have any of you gotten an online degree and then gotten into medical school? I’m trying to decide between brick and mortar and online school, and don’t want to set myself up for heartache in the future.

Thanks yall!

I took organic I/II, bio II, and biochem online years after finishing a traditional undergrad. It’s what made sense to my situation, and I got into school. Granted, it limited where I could go, as not all schools accept online credits.

That being said, if you have the choice between the two, you should go brick and mortar. It opens up so many more opportunities to expand your learning, and there’s no true online “replacement” for good human interaction. I would venture to say that med schools place in-class courses high above online courses. (I, too, have heard no stories about getting in with an online degree)

First, welcome to OPM! This is a long process, and the people on this forum are truly here to help. It’s a great group. And very friendly.

I’m going to agree with the previous posts. There are situations where medical schools will accept online coursework, but I have never heard of anyone getting into medical school with a completely online degree. Like Kennymac said, even taking some online courses limits your application options. So definitely go brick and mortar.

As a side note, I would HIGHLY recommend going to the upcoming OldPreMeds conference in June. It’s in Los Angeles. I’m not sure where you are located, but I guarantee it’s well worth the trip. I attended my first conference in 2010, right before I started my post-bac program, and it literally changed my life. Hope to see you there!

I have never (seriously) NEVER heard of anyone getting into an allo or osteo pathic med school using online courses, degrees.

Avoid them.

Thank you all for your responses. Brick and mortar school it is…