Hello, need advice

Hi guys I’m so glad this forum exists, my situation is as follows.

I’m currently a Junior at U of H didn’t do to well in classes last semester because well…I didn’t show up for them. Currently an x ray tech wanted to be a lawyer(because it took less time) but have finally decided to commit myself to Medicine(because I love it).

I plan to not enroll next semester go back to community college, take biology, chemistry, and physics 1, and then transfer to U of H downtown (satellite campus by the summer semester majoring in Biology.

I just want to make sure I lose those original classes(from 1 year @ U of H) so I can have a clean slate. Is this the right way to go about it. Thanks.

I got the idea from reading this passage

There is nothing that is permanent. If you have a poor grade and your school still records it, then you can rid yourself of that grade by transferring to another school and not transferring that class/credit. Most schools require you transfer a minimum of 30 credits, so if you’ve stumbled along the way, pick your best credits and transfer to another school.

By the way anyone at University of Houston Downtown, How do you like it?

Incorrect. W’s, F’s, P’s, Y’s, and every other letter grade follow you. They all have to be reported when applying to med school.

Do you have a rule or passage from someone or organization to back that up?

Thanks.

Browse the following:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/tr anscripts…

Items 5 and 7 should answer your question.

EDIT: If you are a TX resident, you could choose to invoke the “Texas Fresh Start” but as I understand, only 10 years after the fact. See:

http://www.uta.edu/admissions/fresh_star t.php

…and I think the above applies only to TX public institutions. Meaning that Baylor, for example (a private TX institution) will probably “see” that you’ve invoked the Fresh Start (as I understand - please correct if I’m wrong.)

Thanks,

I think what I’m saying is those classes I took for one year will not be transferred anywhere. I’ll just be walking away from them and the school. They don’t apply to my new college or major. I wont be transferring any records. Does this make sense/ Thanks.

^^i understad what you’re doing adn it seems feasible. however, im not sure if a “education” background check is done prior to med school. if so, you could run into trouble there. remember, in the age of information, it’s difficult to hide anything. good luck.

I understand. However, I think what AMCAS demands is that you report grades on any post-secondary courses, period. That’s what I’ve always known to be required in this game.

When talking about the clean slate, are you referring only to the new University? Or are you talking about those poor grades not being shown to medical schools?

• Dr. LTN Said:
Thanks, I think what I'm saying is those classes I took for one year will not be transferred anywhere. I'll just be walking away from them and the school. They don't apply to my new college or major. I wont be transferring any records. Does this make sense/ Thanks.

We all get what you're saying:

1) you'd like to forget you made poor choices and avoid having to address them again by transferring only the credits you do like because your state allows you to do that

That's fine and good and dandy.

What all of US are saying is that

1) The consolidating organization the compiles all of your educational records BEFORE you apply to med school will REQUIRE you to send in transcripts from EVERY one of your schools.

So let's say for kicks and giggles, you decide that you are going to only transfer

Biol 1

Chem 1

Physics 2

That's great - your new university may be fine with that.

Let's say in 4 years, you graduate Summa Cum Laude from that new university and let's say you only submit that transcript to AMCAS.

AMCAS will see on your transcript that Biol 1, Chem 1, and Physics 2 were transferred from "x-y-z college" and wonder why you didn't submit a transcript from that college.

If you try to apply without sending in the transcript from "x-y-z college" you run a grave and serious risk of academic dishonesty. Med schools... well, most universities ... frown upon that academic dishonesty part.

My suggestion: do transfer what you want but when you apply to MED SCHOOL, send in ALL transcripts, don't hide the truth, state what you learned from that time where grades were lacking, and move on.

Everyone of us, except for maybe a few, have baggage we'd rather not have to disclose. But disclose we do.

Good luck to you - do the right thing.

When applying to medical school, every class that you took in any college and received some grade in must be reported. It does not matter if those classes did or did not transfer.

For example:

If you took Biology 101 and dropped the class after the add/drop period and received a W, it must be reported. But if you dropped it during the Add/Drop period and there was never a grade recorded with the registrar then it will never be on your transcript and there is nothing to report.

In addition, every college you ever took a class in AND received a grade, any grade (A, F, W) must be reported.

Rule of thumb is, if it appears on your transcript, any transcript, then you must report it. All transcripts must be sent in from any institution you received a grade from. That is not to say that if you took a class at a CC and dropped the class and never received a grade so there is no W to report, then no you do not have to report it because there will be nothing on the transcript.

Thanks Guys,

I decided to just stick around, maybe earn a dual degree to show worthiness and I start studying Mcats now. Got to face it.

Thanks Again.

• Dr. LTN Said:
Thanks Guys,

I decided to just stick around, maybe earn a dual degree to show worthiness and I start studying Mcats now. Got to face it.

Thanks Again.

Huh?

Studying MCATS now? For timelines see link below:

http://www.aamc.org/students/considering/ timeline…

I can’t wait for you to start school. Just study what you need to and follow the solid advice from AAMC. MCAT prep starts in Year 3 of College. Then you hopefully are interviewing year 4. Honestly, you need to get those basics finished before you can take your MCAT. Or maybe O-Chem is review for you? Self taught?