Hello

Just wanted to say hello to all, this has been a great source of info for me.
A little about me, Im 27 years old, have gone an odd pre-med route as many of you have done. Started off in forestry, did very poor the first 2 years of college, finally took an EMT class and knew what I wanted to do. Finished paramedic, helped with grades, then finished nursing school for my BS. Now finishing my pre reqs which are good grades, but still cant pull up those first 2 years much. But with determination im going to make it I hope. Will be taking MCAT in april and app process for 2004 entering. Hope to see you all there.
Stephen

QUOTE (medic1612 @ Jan 23 2003, 12:44 AM)
Just wanted to say hello to all, this has been a great source of info for me.
A little about me, Im 27 years old, have gone an odd pre-med route as many of you have done. Started off in forestry, did very poor the first 2 years of college, finally took an EMT class and knew what I wanted to do. Finished paramedic, helped with grades, then finished nursing school for my BS. Now finishing my pre reqs which are good grades, but still cant pull up those first 2 years much. But with determination im going to make it I hope. Will be taking MCAT in april and app process for 2004 entering. Hope to see you all there.
Stephen

Hi Stephen,
Welcome to the group! It looks like you have a clear path set for yourself with something to provide a bit of income during the lean times. Medical school admissions committees are generally forgiving of youthful indiscretion especially if you have good grades in your "mature" years. You have plenty of time at age 27 to take your time with the MCAT and kick some major "booty" on that test. Just don't take it until you are ready for it since all previous grades are reported now.
Determination and discipline more than compensate for brain power when it comes to success in medical school. My IQ of 100 is living proof that you can do well in both medical school and residency and not be a genius. I worked very hard and continue to work hard at the craft of medicine.
Glad to have you posting on the newsgroup and do share your experiences with us from time to time. The folks here have been a great source of inspiration for me over the years. I am sure that you will have the same experience. I have plenty of buddies here at UVA in the emergency medicine residency that were former paramedics and EMTs. They are the best bunch of guys that I have ever worked with. Good luck and keep on posting and driving toward your goal.
Natalie

Hey Stephen,
Welcome to OPM! Listen to Natalie. She has been there and done that. Hope to see more posts from you.
Damon