Help! Got into St. George's should I do it?

Long story short - I got into St. George’s and I don’t know whether I should go or retake the MCAT and apply again next year to US schools. I’m 43, so I don’t have all the time in the world. They want an answer today! Ahhhh!

What does your application look like today? What do you think you could change in the next 6 months or so to be more competitive at a US institution?

In general, if you’re having a lot of doubts about your selection, I’d wait until an opportunity comes by that you feel confident about taking.

Have you weighed all of the pros and cons of it all, considered finances, future options, etc? What do you, and those who know you and the med school application game, think your chances are of getting into a US school within your desired time frame?

Hopefully these are questions you have already thought about. If so, I think you already know what the right choice is for you.

I would advise against it. Residency positions are tight and have become difficult to land even of US students. So I would be very careful. Not saying that you won’t get a great training, but the end goal is to practice medicine here and going there is a risky choice (and a costly one as well)

Thank you all for your input. I have decided against it. I am a strong candidate except that I have to improve my MCAT score.

If you have the money for it, I highly recommend a commercial prep course to focus your studying on the testable material a,d MCAT strategies. I did the Kaplan on-demand course and thought that it helped me immensely. Not only did it reteach the fundamental concepts (oldest prereq was 11 years old at the time) but taught me shortcuts and other methods to succeed on exam day. The money back guarantee didn’t hurt either. There’s a time limit on the program, but I was able to get an extension to continue studying after i thought i had bombed my first take.

Not sure what’s out there for the new test.