Help I think my brain is full

I am SURE this has happened to others so I am looking for reassurance: I simply could not get my brain to focus on all the minutiae of cardiology that I needed to study yesterday. I have way too much stuff to review before next week’s exam in cardio and hematology to be able to afford a day when my brain just doesn’t click into gear, yikes. I can’t think of anything else to do but just keep plugging away but at the moment my brain feels like a rubber band that’s been stretched too many times. Someone tell me that it will get better!

Mary, is there any Multimedia assistance you can plug into on this subject? I havea CD ROM I found on half.com on cardio that I liked and is for medical study.

Sometimes seeing animations and CD movies is better than cramming paragrpahs down your eyeballs when the disconnect is there. It can help to remember that really boring lecture you almost fell asleep in too…maybe make it bearable.

Just a thought.

Mary,
I think we have to wait until after the boards for it to get better. Your right there is way too much crap. I think OPMer’s (especially one’s with healthcare experience) have it harder because they know that half this crap is so that PhD’s can justify their existence at a medical school. I completely understand their role in society, research, but just because you like this tiny little oncogene doesn’t mean the rest of us want to know everything there is to know about it also.
Ok I feel better now

Quote: from RWankum on 8:53 am on Jan. 21, 2002
but just because you like this tiny little oncogene doesn't mean the rest of us want to know everything there is to know about it also.

Ah, Rachel! I could just hug you for that! That freakin' oncogene and tumor suppressor minutia is what stood between me and my High Pass last block.

When was the last time you were working in the ED and stumbled onto a heated discussion of the difference between src, ras and p53?

Take care,
Jeff < sharing your minutia pain!
MS-I, UTMB

But, I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Only 5 more months before the boards and then it is purge, baby, purge.
Jeff, you still have an additional year after that.
Sorry :sad:

Quote: from Mary Renard on 8:20 am on Jan. 21, 2002
I am SURE this has happened to others so I am looking for reassurance: I simply could not get my brain to focus on all the minutiae of cardiology that I needed to study yesterday. I have way too much stuff to review before next week's exam in cardio and hematology to be able to afford a day when my brain just doesn't click into gear, yikes. I can't think of anything else to do but just keep plugging away but at the moment my brain feels like a rubber band that's been stretched too many times. Someone tell me that it will get better!

Hey Mary,
The thing about second year is that third year is essentially an "on your feet repeat" of the stuff that you read and crammed this year. You will add doing the H & Ps into the equation and you will have the basis for what you need to practice medicine. Next year, it will be living and breathing and much more interesting though. That is the "getting better phase". I have great confidence that you will get it in and keep it in long enough to pour it out on that computer this summer.

thanks, after spending the day reviewing various types of anemia, then switching gears to congenital heart defects, I feel a little better (ok, I cheated on the congenital stuff - I remember a lot of that from my time as a neonatal nurse). And Rachel, thanks for a really good laugh! I can’t even blame this on the PhDs in the white coats - all of my current torture is being inflicted by clinical faculty but they have their own biases. Our exam last week on rheumatology was fit for the specialty boards. One classmate told me that her way of dealing with the questions was to write “F.U.” next to ones she didn’t like (anyone need a translation? I didn’t think so!).

Natalie, I sure hope you are right. I have a lot of worry that I am purging too thoroughly between sections and am going to have to learn the whole #### mess all over again in May…

Oh well enough for one night! After all, tomorrow is another day!

“Scarlett O’Hara”

Quote: from RWankum on 5:56 pm on Jan. 21, 2002
Jeff, you still have an additional year after that.

OK, dammit! I'm just going to have to take that hug back. :(

Worse yet, we had a meeting today where we found out that someone had the great idea to add more basic science to our 3rd and 4th year courses! Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't Step I sort of the basic science exam? Step I as in BEFORE 3rd and 4th years?!

Geniuses, I tell you, geniuses. I guess that's what I get for joining your whining about oncogenes.

Take care,
Jeff
MS-I, UTMB

PS, I hope its cold, cold, cold in Chicago! :)