Help needed in Books choosing

Hey all,
I plan to sit the USMLE Step 1 in June 2004. I start to review now because the USMLE program matches with first, second and third years programs here (University of Paris).
First of all, I need advices in books choosing. As it depends on each people. I love to learn with draws and diagrams, I hate long texts with tiny letters.
Then if some first year for 2002-2003 needs a e-study partner I am interested. To be true I truly need an e-study partner. If he can be from Philadelphia area that would be great.
Otherwise, I greet you all, bye,
Loualouis, oh yeah !!

Loualouis,
First…WELCOME TO OLDPREMEDS!! I do believe that you are first French member…man, would I LOVE to visit Paris!!
Studying for USMLE Step 1: [mind you, these are only my personal preferences]
#1) Kaplan Q-bank: can subscribe on-line at www.kaplan.com – I found their practice questions to most accurately mimic the questions I actually encountered on Step 1. You can sign up for 1 month or 3 months and they have a massive number of questions; so you will not have to fret about repeating them too often. And, there are teaching explanations in the answer key.
#2) First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 – great book with the details in a succinct, down & dirty outline format.
#3) Step Up to the Boards: USMLE Step 1 – well written book, actually more well suited for the COMLEX series of exams. The information in presented in a concise clinically oriented format. Great for developing your word/theme association skills.
#4) Buzzwords for the Boards: USMLE Step 1 – pages and pages of medical factoids & one-liners…extremely dense presentation of those pesky which enzyme does this, which bacteria does that, which virion has this feature, in a Q&A format. I used this book to study for the Micro & BioChem components and for quizzing sessions.
I hope this helps you out!
Again, welcome to OldpreMeds!!!

Quote (Loualouis @ April 25 2002,14:43)
Hey all,
I plan to sit the USMLE Step 1 in June 2004. I start to review now because the USMLE program matches with first, second and third years programs here (University of Paris).
First of all, I need advices in books choosing. As it depends on each people. I love to learn with draws and diagrams, I hate long texts with tiny letters.
Then if some first year for 2002-2003 needs a e-study partner I am interested. To be true I truly need an e-study partner. If he can be from Philadelphia area that would be great.
Otherwise, I greet you all, bye,
Loualouis, oh yeah !!

Hi there,
See the information under Study Aids for USMLE.
Good luck :D