Help, please!!!!

Hi everyone! I’ve been a member for a while but this is my first post. I’m 36 and a single mom of two (8&14), I’m starting my premed this May/08 at U of Miami. I hold a BS from U of Toronto, out of school for about 10 years, took some Accounting courses at a community college towards a AA but decided that Med school is what I really want. I hope to be ready for the mcat in April/09 and start med school in 2010. I’ll be 39 that year.

Are you or anyone you know on my shoes? What do you think, is this too crazy? At my age and with children?

I’d really appreciate all your inputs.

Maye

Your age is not crazy. I started med school at 42. One of my classmates FIVE CHILDREN. It is kind of crazy but she does fine with a lot of support from her husband and family. It may be pushing it to get all the prereqs in before April of next year, depending on hour your university schedules things, so be aware that you may need to add a year to your schedule to make it through with the stellar grades you need (one year of gen. chem is usually a prereq for the year of organic chem). Don’t rush so much that you hurt your performance.

Deep breath!

Look around, make yourself at home here, and then make your plans!

It’s not too crazy provided you fully understand what you’re getting yourself into. Your situation is not unique by any means. You’re in good company here.

Regarding your mcat plans, they seem a bit aggressive to me, but others may disagree. How many prereqs will you need to complete? Will you be working while taking your classes? My only advice is do not rush this. if this is something you really want to do, another year or so won’t make a difference. However, a low gpa or poor MCAT score will keep you out of med school. So, figure out how much time you really need to get a 4.0 (or very close to it) and an acceptable MCAT score, and establish your targets based on this.

We are really all in the same boat. Im 34, married and have one 5yr old and have 2 yrs b4 i can take the MCAT. so i am looking at Med school for 2011+/-. By my calcs i will be somewhere around 45 when i finish. So hang in there and use all of the support on this forum. It is really inspiring to me.

Go rent the movie the rookie and listen for the line, “its okay to do what you want to do until its time to do what you were meant to do”

If you were meant to do medicine do not let anything or anyone get in your way.

Good luck!

You’re all very encouraging!!

I do feel a lot better. And maybe the mcat next year is truly too aggressive, but sometimes I feel my time is running out and I want to do it all and do it right this second. But, you’re right, I need to slow down, I will. Like I mentioned my premeds start this May; so I’ll see what the program director recommends.

Thanks for all those advices, it feels really good to know that I’m not alone on this boat.