help

Hello, I have a 13y/o BS in physics w/ a GPA of 2.3, and I have a 2 y/o son w/ a mom who had me so busy this past year my GPA for taking my undergrad pre req's is 3.0…I was just denied from the medical school's masters program. They indicated I have the most compelling application they have seen in years, but they wish to see my performance in grad physiology courses…!!! I'm 37, will be 38 y/o in August…am I done…should I give up hope…I don't want to, but I cannot move…I live in IN…attempting admissions to IUSM…any advice…Oh, I volenteer…I've TA'd for general chem…I work in the ER of a community hospital as a care tech II…one step down from a paramedic…hmm…and I wrote a short and controversial book on healing and the effects of one's emotional state on health…hmm does anyone have any advice…oh, i take the mcat this august…i think i barely passed orgo chem…b- for both sections…thanks…David

I don't think you should give up hope yet. I'd follow their advice and take the grad physiology course and do your best to rock it (just take the one class and you should be fine) and then try to get into the program again. From the sound of it they just want to know that you can handle the rigors of the program and broaden your science a bit more. And a B- in both semesters of Orgo is much better than barely passing…passing is a D remember! It sounds like you have a great app but need to show how you can rock in upper division bio classes (despite having a 2 y/o) and then rock the MCAT. If you really want to be a doctor never give up cuz you will make it eventually. In the meantime have fun with your son, keep the food on the table, and keep going for your dream…
Good luck!
–Jessica, UCCS

David, at your tender age I hadn’t even gotten the bright idea to go to medical school yet, much less finished my pre-reqs and started applying. OPM had a member quite awhile ago who I believe may have ended up at IU… with her daughter. So fercryinoutloud, you are not too old!
You can take their statement at face value. For a variety of reasons, they feel that you’re a strong candidate. However, in one area where they really need to be reassured, i.e. grades, they’re worried about whether accepting you would be too much of a risk. Reading just a teensy bit between the lines it sounds like they want you to clearly demonstrate that you’ve got the focus to come through on a class with a strong grade. It sounds to me like they believe you can do it - but you do have to prove it.
Put another way, you’ve demonstrated that you are an exceptional candidate in several ways - they told you that. But to get into med school (or a med school masters program if its intent is to get you into med school), you DO have to be exceptional in your academic achievements as well. Passing isn’t good enough. You can’t do anything about the old grades, but your new grades need to reflect your determinataion and drive to achieve your goal. So that’s what you’ve been tasked with, and they’ve as much as told you that they think you can do it. So do it already! tongue.gif
Good luck!

Dear Jessica and Mary,
Thank you very much for your replies, and wonderful support. I just am letting some of the personal details of life to get in my way, rather than just get to work with my studies. As you know it is difficult to fund school, and be a single dad. Well, not pity party here.
I just met with my pre-med advisor, she made me aware of a special pre-professional 1 yr bio program, rigorous, but doable, that is specifically geared towards folks as myself. 30 credits, 2 semesters, all study based, and the class is ranked and broken down point by point for placement.
The reason I’m even entertaining this is that the adivsor for the previous med/grad program mentioned even if I took his reccomendations I should apply to med school directly next year, saving a yr, but being a non-degreed grad student may hinder my acceptance. He mentioned if I were in a “program” that it would strengthen my application.
Also, being my previous background in holistic medicince, massage therapy, authoring a book on holistic health, etc…,my pre-med advisor mentioned DO training. What are you feelings about DO’s and your understanding of compatibility with an MD?
Well, again…thanks for the encouragment…I will not and cannot give up…this is a life goal for me…
Be well,
David

I will not and cannot give up..this is a life goal for me..

That's the spirit! I feel the same way about this decision.
I am no expert but I second all the encouragement.

It sounds like that post bac program may be the perfect solution for you.
Believe me I definitely feel for ya on the funding issues - I don't have children, but I've been entirely supporting myself for the last 5 years and paying for my education on my own.
I'm still a good 2 years away from the MCAT and application cycle so I'm sure some of our veterans will be happy to chime in with DO/MD distinctions, but for my 2 cents I think DO may be a great fit for you given your current stats and ECs. From what I understand the quality of education/rigors of med school are equitable between DO/MD. In some ways DO is tougher because you add in the OMM course on top of everything else. It will kind of depend on what residency you think you may want to go to…while DO's do get accepted to MD residencies all the time (and there are DO residencies as well) some of the more competitive residencies (ie. orthopaedic surgery) will be tough to get into with a DO (not impossible, just tougher). Also, MD schools have more developed research programs if that floats your boat…
My best advice would be to research both and apply to both and see what happens and choose the best of your options. This is probably what I will be doing and I do want to go into orthopaedic surgery (at the moment anyway) and ideally work with athletes…
Good luck!
–Jessica, UCCS

Well, I just checked into my grades and I receiced a D for Orgo lab/lec. I had been ill for one month, and was unable to attend classes any classes during this month. The instructor informed me the remainng tests would consider my grade, and the 0 would be dropped. Well, it wasn't and the instructor has informed me they cannot uphold the origonal agreement. With no further reason…
With this, I think I have checked out DO schools, and am actually being more attracted to the honest concern for the person and holistic approach. Does any one have any comments on the DO path, or should I trudge on towards MD…titles aren't a issue, my ability to get to my heart's work of assiting others in there time of healing, and foring a relationship with my son is…
Thanks and be well,
David

dpiser,
Sorry to hear of your illness and the resulting bad grade.
Depending on your school's policies, if there is any way that you can retake the class in order to replace the grade, then do so.
At any rate, you will have to retake the class and receive a 'C' or better to fulfill most, if not all, DO school entrance requirements. But getting just a 'C' won't do you much better, so aim high.
The only light at the end of the tunnel regarding AACOMAS grade calculations is that they use the most recent grade of any class you repeat. So if you retake it and rock, and so long as that low grade was more an anomaly than the norm, I think you should be fine - MD or DO, notwithstanding.
Now, the next time you have a prolonged illness and are in danger of failing a class - withdraw!
- Tae

Does any one have any comments on the DO path, or should I trudge on towards MD...titles aren't a issue, my ability to get to my heart's work of assiting others in there time of healing, and foring a relationship with my son is....

The DO route will get you to your heart's work every bit as well as an MD, and it sounds like DO may be a good fit with your background. Retake that orgo class, show 'em what you can do, and go for it! smile.gif

apply to whatever schools appeal to you - lots of folks apply to both DO and MD, which is fine. The MD/DO distinction is, to some extent, just PR and hype. It is true that DO students get to learn OMM. It’s also true that traditionally, DO pathways have been somewhat more holistic. However, I bet you can find the word “holistic” in the recruiting materials for every single MD program in the United States. At my MD program we’ve certainly gotten plenty of emphasis in listening to the patient, considering their social situation when addressing their medical issues, yadda yadda yadda.
I’ve concluded that the philosophy you bring with you INTO medical school is probably a lot more important than whatever philosophy your medical school tried to pour into you.

I just want t to thank everyone for there support and comments. Yes, I've been very narrow minded in my pursuit in completing my pre-req's; I've should have just dropped and taken the courses the following semester.
Well, with this all said and done, I have visited an Osteopathic school in Athens, OH, Ohio University-college of osteopathic medicine. Does anyone know anything about this school. It sounds and looks great, they have two curriculum, both base its education in a patient based manner vs the traditional academic/lab program. The more attractive program is a small group(9 folks) patient based curriculum, and the other is similar in more traditional group setting w/ specific goals and agendas.
Also, does anyone know how the comlex, do boards, are seen as to matching in the MD world? WEll, again thanks and be well,
David

Hello, Everyone!
Well, it appears all is working out. I've been studying about 4 hrs a day for the up and coming August MCAT. Does anyone have any who has taken the MCAT successfully have any input about the test, or how they prepared?
I would like to make just a personal comment about holistic health. Yes, it is true that what you bring to a medical program will prevail, but you in a sense are influenced by your enviroment. I cannot see how being in an intense enviorment and not be coaxed by the predominating philosophy. You see, holistic means understanding and coming form a perspecitve that health is not just including somones personal experiences, but coming from an ideal that a disease is not necessarily the cause, it is an effect. Also, that in the traditional MD programs I have investigated, spoken with current MD's, friends, and institutions, the idea of piecing together the whole person/pictiure; social life, spiritual life, how each of the systems fully effect one another, until the 4th year. Yes, there appears acceptions, but I think is a vital consideration. Well, I'm just rambaling, so thanks again for any assistance you may have to offer.
Be well,
David