Hey Betsy

Ok, you have completed residency and now are on salary somewhere I am gathering.

1: without telling me how much you are making directly, are you satisfied with your starting salary and are you completely able to play for necessities and those god aweful loans without too much scrimping?

2: Are you seeing a side of attending practice that you do not like and what drives you now? What do you like about being done?

Looking forward to this response.
Joe
(anxiously waiting for acceptance letters, interviews and emails)

Quote (futrfysician @ Jan. 30 2002,13:41)
Ok, you have completed residency and now are on salary somewhere I am gathering without telling me how much you are making directly, are you satisfied with your starting salary and are you completely able to play for necessities and those god aweful loans without too much scrimping?
2: Are you seeing a side of attending practice that you do not like and what drives you now? What do you like about being done?

Quote:

There will be some scrimping involved, as I have huge amounts of loans, but I can pay for necessities without problems, and some luxuries (just not excessive ones). So it's OK. It would be more problematic if I had a family to support and/or if I was worrying about saving for retirement (I have given up all hope of being able to save enough to retire so I'm just planning to work until I die).
I immensely dislike the hassles involved in figuring out how to get medications for patients who don't have prescription drug coverage. I also dislike the amount of time I spend dealing with people who like narcotics too much who come to our practice because we take Medicaid (most of the docs nearby have relatively recently stopped taking it so we're getting lots of new Medicaid patients and it seems like many of them like narcotics far too well). I love getting to know people over time, being able to explain things to them and help them make good decisions, and just the everyday process of seeing patients!
Blessed be,
Betsy