Hi, all! City planner turned pre-med in Boston, SF

Hi, you guys & gals. I just wanted to introduce myself since I found this very helpful board and have been reading it. It’s great to virtually meet all of you! What a diversity of paths and experiences.
I’m just finishing up a Master of City Planning degree in the Boston area. I finally realized, after working in policy for years & then going to grad school, that the policy world just wasn’t what I was meant to do & that medicine was! I’m at the beginning of my journey still, taking a few prereqs at the moment & getting some clinical experience. I am totally loving it.
I’m planning on moving out to San Francisco next fall and finishing up at SF State. I am VERY excited about the program there and the community of post-baccs. Anyway, just wanted to say hi so I wouldn’t be a lurker anymore!
Karla

Welcome. We are a helpful bunch of people since we either were or are in the same boat together. In the end we all have the comonality that we thought medicine was out of reach but are working very hard to make it.
If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to let us know.
Good luck and welcome aboard.
gabe

Quote:

I’m just finishing up a Master of City Planning degree in the Boston area…I’m planning on moving out to San Francisco next fall and finishing up at SF State.

Karla,
Before you commit to moving, you probably want to sit down and consider (1) which state you are currently a resident of and (2) which medical schools you are going to want to apply to when the time comes.
Many states have a policy that prevents you from establishing state residency while you are going to school so you may find that even after moving to California, you won’t be a California resident for purposes of applying to medical school. Furthermore, from what I’ve heard, California is not the best state to be a resident of from a “get into your state allopathic school” perspective.
A move may have positive or negative implications for you applying to med school - make sure you explore them thoroughly.

Quote:

Many states have a policy that prevents you from establishing state residency while you are going to school so you may find that even after moving to California, you won’t be a California resident for purposes of applying to medical school. Furthermore, from what I’ve heard, California is not the best state to be a resident of from a “get into your state allopathic school” perspective.

However, staying in MA has it’s own issues from a residency standpoint. UMass is the only state med school and it only accepts MA residents… to qualify as a MA resident you must have either graduated from high school here or have been a resident for 7 years.
But as Boeing said, be sure to look at all aspects before making your decision.

Great, thanks for the welcomes, you guys!
I am definitely applying to the UCs and very excited – I used to live in CA before I came out to the East Coast, and I have to say I don’t have much interest in staying out here. The UC policy on residency is that basically as long as you are living in California when you apply, claim it as your state of residency on AMCAS, and you get your driver’s license etc., you are considered a resident for admissions purposes… which is good news for its wayward daughters and sons.
Karla

Karla,
Your information about CA residency is almost correct. You can start to establish residency (all students have to complete it) while taking classes but they still impose the one year residency policy. The paperwork for residency is quite in depth for the UCs. So many students wanting to establish residency because out of state fees are so high. I took a semester off from UC Berkeley last fall. I have lived in the state my entire life. I still had to jump through hoops to prove I didn’t spend a semester outside of CA.