Hiring an older MD

Hi.

I posted a topic “Really pushing the age limit” in the general discussion section. Got lots of valuable replies that I appreciate.

I am considering medical school and I would be looking at completing residency in my later 50’s. In addition to the challenges in getting accepted and completing med school and residency, I am thinking about getting hired after residency.

I’m pretty “young” for 45 now and hope to be a “young” 58 but do you think anyone would hire me at that age. I’m interested now in general surgery but that may change.

Many thanks.

While not directly answering your question, I think Bruce Stafford’s story will be somewhat of an inspiration for you and help answer some of your other questions.

http://members.cox.net/docstafford/

One thing to keep in mind is that when medical practices look for a new associate, they’re often going to start in their own backyard. Many local practices contacted my residency director if they were looking to hire. I know a urology practice that hired a guy into their group as soon as he finished his residency - although the practice wasn’t officially part of his residency program, they did work together with him a lot and so knew him well by the time he completed his residency. One of the ER docs at the hospital where I did most of my admissions as a resident was always chatting us up about opportunities with his colleagues. There are LOTS of networking opportunities in residency.

So my advice for you is, certainly don’t sweat it now. When you are considering a residency, consider places where you’d be happy to settle AFTER residency because you may have your best opportunities in the area where you’re well-known. It’s certainly not necessary but it may make it easier.

Mary

• ihopetobeado2 Said:
While not directly answering your question, I think Bruce Stafford's story will be somewhat of an inspiration for you and help answer some of your other questions.

http://members.cox.net/docstafford/

thanks for the website...it was an interesting read!

Several years ago, I came across an article about the benefits of hiring an older but “fresh out of medical school physician.” Unfortunately, I can’t find the article, but Dr. Renard had a link to it on an old OPM post.

Aslo, you should look at the experiences of Natalie J. Belle, both her and on StudentDoctor.net. She is an older medical resident (unless she has completed her residency – it’s been a while).

Natalie Belle - she was an OPMer, wasn’t she? Surgery right?

Rachel

OPM’er, done with medical school, done with general surgery residency (I think), now or soon doing a vascular surgery fellowship.