Houston student dismissed over article

http://www.dfw.com/mld…791.htm
Ouch, the teaching doc has a 2x4 up his ass because he was mentioned in the article. So one student was kicked out…during 4th year
no less.
also see:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/editorial/3250253.htm
http://www.universitydaily.net/vnews…chive=1

I'm confused on the timing - article 1 says he is scheduled to graduate this spring - in the actual student written article, he calls himself a pre-clinical student, it is datelined Jan 2002, and at the end of the article, he is characterized as a second year student.
So - is he a 4th year or a 2nd year student?

I didn't find his essay nearly as interesting as some I've read here at OPM - but I didn't find it as *defaming* as the 1st article intimates ( or intimates it was taken by the authorities).
Nevertheless, if he signed a confidentiality agreement and breeched it (if this did indeed breech it) ... was it clear that breeching the agreement was an expulsitory offence?
L
:05-->
Quote (LisaS @ May 13 2002,20:05)
Nevertheless, if he signed a confidentiality agreement and breeched it (if this did indeed breech it) ... was it clear that breeching the agreement was an expulsitory offence?
L

You got me. It does not mention it, however, I suspect with an attorney and him not crawling under a rock, he'll be reinstated shortly. No school likes bad press over restricting the freedom of speech.
No confidentiality was broken here. He was following the law and in Texas it is even more lenient than in Fla.

it makes you wonder tho - if he had written exactly the same article, warts and all - just modifying the part about finding occlusions in the coronary arteries, and instead writing something about ‘a systematic and methodical search for the cause of death’ - would it all have just blown over ?
I think the remarks about colleague “Rocky” and Huntsville were much more highly charged and potentially defaming than anything he said or implied about the M.E. - he sounded like the guy I want finding my cause of death.
Lisa

I’ve read the articles too, and all I can say is what a dumb guy! To go through all that hard work preparing for med school, getting accepted, and making it almost all the way, only to go and throw it all down the drain. He had to know his comments would ruffle some feathers, and while some of his comments have some merit, I think an expose of this sort would have been better saved for after he graduated and finished residency, when he wouldn’t face any consequences. Or, at least use a pseudonym or submit the article through a ghost writer.
Like I can’t disagree with certain things he said, but “time and place, buddy!” ???

About a week ago the courts decided the student can temporarily remain at the med school (via an injunction). Let’s see how long it takes for the matter to go to trial. Some predict it could take years. If so, Rao will have completed requirements to get his MD by the time a decision is rendered. What then?

<!–QuoteBegin–castaway+July 04 2002 9:11 pm–>

Quote (castaway @ July 04 2002 9:11 pm)
About a week ago the courts decided the student can temporarily remain at the med school (via an injunction). Let’s see how long it takes for the matter to go to trial. Some predict it could take years. If so, Rao will have completed requirements to get his MD by the time a decision is rendered. What then?

Then he’ll give ol’ Spencer the California Howdy and be on his way to completing his internship. What a combination a medical examiner/attorney! Man that makes one shudder doesn’t it… ???