How do you know when you're aiming too high?

Well, the frustration is getting to the overwhelming point, and I’m beginning to wonder if this is still the way to go. It’s funny how when you know what you want to do (ie: live the dream of being a physician), and when you begin to undertake the path, it feels like every form of discouragement is coming from every angle. I know it’s not like this for everyone, but I’m going through it right now. After being out of school for a few years and re-enrolling in a biochem program, my grades are holding steady (A’s and B’s), but the major is so research oriented, that I’m just about ready to pull my hair out. I am really interested in medicine, well… at least the treating of patients, but I find it hard to express how disinterested I am in the research arena, which does take up a large area in medicine.

With that said, I am seriously considering bailing on this biochem program because as far as I’m concerned, it’s a complete waste of my time and money. I did look into the human nutrition program (which appears to provide a much better basis for the education I’m looking for as an undergrad), but the program isn’t starting at the campus near where I live for another 2 years. So now…I’m wondering what I should do for the next 2 years to enhance my app until the human nutrition program starts. I honestly cannot see myself continuing with the biochem program any further. It just keeps putting me off.

EMT Cert?

2nd Job to save and try pay cash for med school?

Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated.