How do you stay focused...

when you know that it may be at least two years before you are even ready to apply?

Kris

3-4 years for me, so I understand. I just try to stay focuses on what I want to do but not focused to the point it’s all I think about and get burned out during the process. Just make some time to enjoy your family, friends and life along the way.

• Krisss17 Said:
when you know that it may be at least two years before you are even ready to apply?

Kris

Read medical books. Watch medical programs. Vividly imagine yourself as a doctor. Find a roll dog who is in the hunt with you and just talk about how life will be as a doctor and med school and......... If you don't have one then make OPM your best friend.

The other thing is, enjoy the moment. When I was 42-almost-43, I really didn’t know if I’d make it on my quest but I was determined to enjoy the ride. I marvelled that I could learn new stuff. I enjoyed doing problems and preparing for o-chem lab. I had fun all the way through.

I really think it’s important to treat the pre-med years as an integral part of the journey that is good for its own sake, not just as the means to an end. OK I know it sounds Pollyanna-ish (what is a more contemporaneous term for Pollyanna? does anyone even know who she was any more?) but having fun as you go seems like an important way to keep the goal alive.

Mary

Ah, I don’t think that’s Pollyanna-ish, Mary - it sounds like the right approach to me. Yes, I keep my eyes on the prize, but I don’t think I’d be doing this were I not so intersted in the journey itself.

• Mary Renard Said:
The other thing is, enjoy the moment. When I was 42-almost-43, I really didn't know if I'd make it on my quest but I was determined to enjoy the ride. I marvelled that I could learn new stuff. I **enjoyed** doing problems and preparing for o-chem lab. I had fun all the way through.

I really think it's important to treat the pre-med years as an integral part of the journey that is good for its own sake, not just as the means to an end. OK I know it sounds Pollyanna-ish (what is a more contemporaneous term for Pollyanna? does anyone even know who she was any more?) but having fun as you go seems like an important way to keep the goal alive.

Mary

Well maybe the modern term is "Mary Sunshine" or is it "Terry Sunshine? I think you've hit it. If you're not having fun training to be a physician, is it really worth it? So far I've had a blast; it's been so interesting to learn about science, even though it doesn't seem to stick in my head beyond the next exam. I guess there are a few neural pathways in there somewhere. So in answer to the OP, I would say find a way to enjoy your time on this planet whatever it is you're doing, be it Chem I or the glide year or post-graduate residency.

Believe, I do look forward to each step along the way, including the taking of organic chemistry and physics (on the schedule for the fall). I guess it is just difficult when you really can share your goal with people close (i.e. family)

Kris

That’s a good point Kriss. I was fortunate to have a supportive spouse & family who all shared in my excitement. I also had friends in completely different fields who also helped cheer me on. And of course OPM was a huge support network for me. I do think that all of that helped me a lot; one can only cheer for oneself so much! I hope you can find some supportive folks in your sphere, and of course you’re likely to find sympatico folks here at OPM.

Mary

The way I try to stay focused since I’m in the same predicament is just try to “enjoy” the classes I’m taking while it’s during the semester, since it keeps me busy (I’m type A), and I just kind of view being pre-med as part of my life instead of being a doctor as a goal.

Honestly, outside a few classes such as sociology and all math classes, most of the classes are pretty interesting. Granted, I don’t care much for GE classes, but all I have left now is science, and I love science, so I guess it’s all about staying interested in the courses you’re taking.

Working on your ECs (fun ones) probably will help too…I plan to take scuba diving this upcoming fall semester and I’m sure that’ll help take the edge off. Find something enjoyable that you can do in your off time then try to do it as much as possible!