How late is too late?

Tlacuache, I relate to your story. I’m 44 with twins who are almost five years old. I first had the intuition to become a doctor at age 37 and then again at age 40. Here I am at 44, and the dream still hounds me! And my motto is that I don’t want to have regrets in my 80s.

So I am planning to apply to DO schools when I’m 48 (this is not absolute), enroll at 49, graduate at 52 (almost 53), do residency from age 53 to 56 or 57, and then practice for at least twenty years. I am a social worker so I already know how to live modestly so I’m confident that I’ll be conscientious and pay loans before buying the Porsche Cayenne (TOTALLY kidding). Twenty years is a long time to have a career. Like I said above, what I don’t want is to be 80 and to have regrets. This is why I’m pursuing the path.

Hi Csl!

A belated welcome! As Linda said, I’m in 3rd year now and in the throes of clinicals - just started ob-gyn today (which is not too much of a stretch for me But learned quite a bit today in the office due to the heavy proportion of gyn clients and some new developments I was less familiar with. Having fun !

Kate

“Being a Physician is my retirement.” -Ugh! You just gave me life! That was beautifully stated.

I would say that, perhaps with a few exceptions, it is never too late. The main thing you need to do is to (1) prove that you are worthy of med school and being a doctor by getting good grades, competitive MCAT, and extracurriculars, and (2) explain to med school admission committees why you want to go to med school now and not earlier in your life. If you already have lots of medical experience, you may not need to explain this second part, but the first part (grades, MCAT, and experiences) are a must.

Thanks Kate! I really needed that one today! I am deciding if I should put off applying until next years cycle and that is just the encouragement I needed!