How long is a LOR valid for application?

Hi all,

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this question.

I am in the process of asking LORs to various folks. My assumption is that I will have taken enough pre-reqs (core pre-reqs) and will have gotten an acceptable MCAT score by next summer.

So I will open an interfolio account to get my letters stored.

What if I decide, for whatever reasons, to delay my application one more year (to take more pre-reqs or to do better on the MCAT)? Do I have to re-ask for new letters or will the ones I am asking now be valid till the after this coming cycle?

Thanks for your insight.

A year or two won’t be a problem. If anyone even notices, just be prepared to answer why you waited a year.

jmdmd

thanks for the reply. It helps.

I wish you well.

Two years might well be a problem. If that were the case, I’d suggest getting a new letter or two from recent class(es).

Cheers,

Judy

I have a similar question.

I will be getting recommendation letters from instructors from my Biology 1 (Summer 2008), Chemistry 1 (Fall 2008) and Chemistry 2 (Spring 2009). I really didn’t think 2-2.5 years would be a problem.

I just went to an advising session at the med school locally to me (OU) and I asked this very question. Their policy is that they want someone who knows you know, recently. She said if there was something spectacular about the LOR from a year or 2 ago, they would certainly like that one as well but they wanted professor LORS that were from more recent coursework.

Radamson

Thank you for the update.

• RAdamson Said:
I just went to an advising session at the med school locally to me (OU) and I asked this very question. Their policy is that they want someone who knows you know, recently. She said if there was something spectacular about the LOR from a year or 2 ago, they would certainly like that one as well but they wanted professor LORS that were from more recent coursework.

But the question does arise for non-trads who may take only a few courses a term. How do you keep say the general chem instructor from three years ago "fresh?" One strategy is start laying the ground work early. Get to know your professors, and keep in touch with them via email with your progress as you take courses. So when a professor writes a letter that you were an outstanding student three years ago he can also add how he has noted your progress after that class.

And as always, non-traditional implies atypical. If your best letter is from a professor you worked with several years ago and has passed on, run with. If your current letter is from your boss at work (who is supportive) and can say you were a top notch employee even though you were taking 12 credits while working full time, use it. Yes, get the required letters but if you squeeze yourself too much into a "traditional" box, you lose why your being a non-traditional adds to your ability to be an outstanding doctor.