how many schools to apply to?

I still haven’t made up my mind on applying to schools… which schools to apply to and how many…
I’ve narrowed my list way down… but given that I’m a well, below average applicant (at least at this stage of the game… )(more specifically low GPA, with nothing else decided yet)… how many schools should I apply to?
On one hand, I’m thinking maybe applying to a lot of schools in the hopes that one of them will consider interviewing me… (of course they have to meet my general criteria to get on this list)… and on the other hand, I’m thinking maybe I should only apply to a few schools, since my GPA is so low… not really wanting to waste a lot of money on applying to so many schools…
I don’t really have any basis for deciding on either one of these… I have heard in the past that if you’re not necessarily as competitive, you might want to spread it around…
I don’t have any aversions to moving (in fact I’m expecting to move and looking forward to it)… I’ve already ruled out quite a few schools based on a number of other factors…
not sure what the best approach is at this point…
ideas?

Over the years, the AMCAS average has varied between 11 (a long time ago) and 14-17 (more recently). I think a reasonable number is around 20. Many more than that just drives you crazy with secondary essays (and you self-select down to about 20 anyway). Too few doesn’t usually cast a wide enough net.
Cheers,
Judy