How much should I be worried about my academic past?

Today I was checking out mdapplicants.com and medschoolcountdwn.com to get an idea about the general trend. I was some what disappointed with my findings. out of 10,000 users I could not find atleast one person with a GPA under 3.0. As much as I can’t imagine myself doing anything other than becomming a practicing doctor, I also believe in doing some risk benefit analysis and I see more risk. Having investing two years and $20,000 in preparation to go to med school and not have fruitful results will be devastating. I certainly seem to be missing something here.

Please excuse me for being so skeptical. I don’t have anyone else to help me through this and support me. Still early in the game and lack of confidence is probably corrupting my mind.

Just a wild guess here, but not everyone who applies or gets accepted to med school probably creates a genuine profile on MDApps. Don’t ignore the data on there, but don’t be intimidated either. Break the whole thing down into tiny steps and make it a priority to do the best you can on each step. The rest will probably fall into place…

The question you should really be asking yourself is, “How much is worrying about the past going to change it?”.

Very good point, Dazed… I should take that quote into consideration for myself as well.

Thanks for the insight. For now like someone on this forum pointed out, I will have my blinders on and pursue this with total commitment and a positive mind.

Yep there are definitely moments, and many more to come I should think, where we can consider ourselves as part of “the few, the proud, the insane.”

It’s a bit of a rush when you think about it.

I just had someone else tell me not too long ago “That seems like too much work. You should just consider teaching nursing.”

I told them that I had, but I that consideration has taken a backseat to this “insane” pursuit.

“Perseverance… keeps honor bright: to have done, is to hang quite out of fashion, like a rusty nail in monumental mockery.” ~William Shakespeare

I am the rusty nail.