How often does someone with a 6 in verbal get in?

I am shocked, scared and depressed. The MCAT scores just came out and I can’t believe I got a 6 verbal. My practices were 8,9,10 with exam krackers and AAMC. I did have my hand clamp up during the test and it took about 5 minutes to get under control but I didn’t think it ruined me. I don’t know if I made a bubbling mistake or what. So now my total score is a 26 and I’m wondering if there is still some hope. It doesn’t make sense to me… UGH!
Any thoughts… I’m planning to add more osteopathic schools to the 5 I previously selected. I just don’t get it!
Jill

Jill,
I think this adds to the age old question, has anybody ever gotten in with an X (insert “bad” GPA, MCAT score, etc).
The reality of it is that I’m sure that someone has gotten in with that score.
You can’t wager whether someone on this list thinks that you will or won’t get in with that VR score… you just have to jump in and go for it.
I wish you well,
Andrea

Of course I’m still going for it but I’m going to spend a bit of time wallowing.
Thanks…

Jill,
you didn’t mention your essay score, but better a in VR than the sciences.If you’ve done well in school otherwise, they will know at your interview that you communicate well.
Best of luck,
Kathy

Quote:

Jill,
you didn’t mention your essay score, but better a in VR than the sciences.If you’ve done well in school otherwise, they will know at your interview that you communicate well.
Best of luck,
Kathy

I’ve heard just the opposite. In fact, I’ve been told that the reason the verbal score is more heavily weighed than the sciences is because the verbal score best correlates with USMLE pass success.

I have also heard that the VR score is heavily weigther BUT that said I would just my best foot forward and see what happens…good luck and keep your chin up! you never really know…

Thanks all. I still haven’t recovered but now I’m thinking to retake the MCAT in April. I am going to hope for some interviews and maybe making it onto a waitlist. If I can prove the VR 6 is an anomaly… maybe someone will take me. If not, I’ll be ready to go for the next round of applications. Anyone know if you can influence a wait list with April results?

Jill, I don’t think April results will be considered in an application from the “previous year.” I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be considered "fair game."
I am sorry for your disappointment, which I know is huge. Unfortunately I do think it’ll be hard to be considered with a 6 VR, but I am loathe to say that it can’t happen. You just never know how that one number will play when it’s looked at as part of your overall application.
Good luck to you, Jill!
Mary