How old is too old.

Does anyone know how old is too old.? I am 48 and would be 50 or 51 before I could go to med school (if accepted) I am currently a certified nurse-midwife with a master of nursing and master of public health. I have come to the realization that unless I try to get into med school I will never be totally happy.
Wanda

I don’t think there is any age limit set in stone, Wanda. The most important thing is your ability and desire.
I was 52 when I began med school, and I am doing just fine. Although I feel really tired some days, I look around and see that my younger colleagues are just as tired.
I remember when I was in your shoes, thinking about whether or not I was too old. One of my chemistry professors asked me how old I would be in 5 years. Then he asked me how old I would be in 5 years if I went to medical school. And surprisingly enough, the answer was the same. He went on to explain that to not try to accomplish a goal would be something that would haunt me the rest of my life. . . wondering could I? Would I? Why didn’t I? . .
Anyway, it’s not easy, but I wouldn’t trade a minute of it! Best of luck.

Quote:

Does anyone know how old is too old.? I am 48 and would be 50 or 51 before I could go to med school (if accepted) I am currently a certified nurse-midwife with a master of nursing and master of public health. I have come to the realization that unless I try to get into med school I will never be totally happy.

Wanda

Personally, I think you’re only “too old” to surrender your dreams when you begin to manifest dependent lividity & start to give off the cloying stench of decay. Otherwise, life is short. You should always be investing the precious, finite amount of time that you have pursuing things that promote personal, professional, intellectual &/or spiritual contentment.

Boy that is a tough one…102?

I think if this is what you really want to do then there is no age limit. Would I go to med school at 65? Well no, 41? Answer is yes but this is me. You need to take a look at yourself ans if this is what you want then the answer is yes, it is not too old. Good luck!

I work with a non-profit that does medical work abroad. On a recent trip to Mexico, I was introduced to a new volunteer doc who went to med school at age 50. It was not easy for her but she made it. And you can, too.

Although the odds do decrease the older you get, with hard work, persistence, tactical planning, and some luck, it may just be possible.

As the cliche goes, you’re never too old to be who you might have been.

Dead is too old.

My thoughts exactly he he, once dead you are waaaay too old for anything but as long as you are breathing and willing go for it!