How OPM helps!

Okay, guys,
With the application cycle so far along this year, I just wondered if we have any idea how many of our members have achieved admission to the Class of 2007. And, if you are one of the fortunate ones that have, please post here and let the other members know how you feel OPM has helped.
For myself, I know that after last year, when I was waitlisted, but not accepted, it would have been very easy to get discouraged. However, with the support and input from other OPMers, I bit the bullet and kept putting one foot in front on the other, and now I am on my way.
I want to suggest to everyone that they try to find a way to attend the convention this May 29-June 1. I know the knowledge I gained from the first two conventions was invaluable in improving my application and presenting myself in a manner that allowed me to gain admission this year. I also know that the networking skills I needed to more easily traverse the waters surrounding not only medical school admission, but later on, acquiring a good residency program, were acquired after attending these conventions and meeting fellow OPM members and faculty and staff from several medical schools.
I guess what I want to say is. . . look at the numbers. I think you will find that a large number of those active OPM members who have applied this year have been accepted and are now on their way to fulfilling their goals.
To those of you who are out there and not participating much, and haven’t yet planned to attend the convention, give both some very serious thought. I think you will find they are worth every effort you must put forth!! And, as you get to know the other members, they are also a lot of fun!! smile.gif
Again, please, those of you who have been accepted, please post here and let other members know how OPM has helped!

Okay, I know the following people are in for 2007:
Linda Wilson (going to WVCOM)
Sue (from NY, going to WVCOM)
myself (going to EVVCOM)
ParamedicRN (going to EVVCOM)
spacecadet (going to Baylor, as I recall, hopefully correctly)
…and a number of others, so please, let’s do a roll call of who’s in!
OPMs has helped me “stay with the program”, to to speak, and just keep going forward. There are moments for everyone where it would be easy (or easier) to turn away and go do something else…but I don’t think I’d be happy with that decision personally. The support/encouragement and information found here has been important and it’s good to hear everyone’s background stories…the things we’ve overcome, the qualities we oldsters can bring to a med school class, etc.
For those lurking around, please introduce yourselves! And for everyone here, please join us in DC if at all possible. We’ll have great speakers again this year and it’s inspirational to have as many OPMs together as we can.
Take care!

QUOTE (Mary Bois Byrne @ Feb 18 2003, 02:09 PM)
Okay, I know the following people are in for 2007:
Linda Wilson (going to WVCOM)
Sue (from NY, going to WVCOM)
myself (going to EVVCOM)
ParamedicRN (going to EVVCOM)
spacecadet (going to Baylor, as I recall, hopefully correctly)

Me! (going to Western/COMP)
The thing that kept me going was the support from my wife, and the people who posted encouragement from OPM. Nat, OMD, Linda - and practically everyone else who posts to this board - they were always there with a reassuring word or bit of advice.
It definitely helps to hear from people in the same stage in life who have already made it, or are in the same boat application-wise.
If I weren't going to be in the middle of moving and expecting our first child, I would definitely be at the convention to buy a round for all the people I've admired through this board.

- Tae
biggrin.gif Congrats to all of those in the Class of 2007!!! I'm very proud of you..!!!
Linda, Congrats to you... email me if you get the time..! smile.gif
Mike..
(NiceMedTex@AOL.COM)

Hey guys, can you post the whole name of the school? I have no idea what some of the acronyms are supposed to mean. Thanks and congrats to all accepted! Wooohooo!!!

QUOTE (efex101 @ Feb 18 2003, 10:52 PM)
Hey guys, can you post the whole name of the school? I have no idea what some of the acronyms are supposed to mean. Thanks and congrats to all accepted! Wooohooo!!!

Yes, here goes:
WVSOM = West Virginia School of Osteo. Med.
EVVCOM = Edward Via Virginia College of Osteo. Med....that's the new school in Blacksburg that's affiliated w/Virginia Tech
Western/COMP = Western Univ. of Health Sciences College of Osteo. Med. of the Pacific
Baylor is in Houston...
And my apologies to Tae...didn't mean to leave you out of the list I'd posted. (Maybe you and your new family can join us in Denver next year?!)
Also, I think we have other OPM geezers who are accepted for the Class of 2007. Please let us know who you are and where you're accepted!

add me to the list too…University of Texas Health Science Center - San Antonio class of 2007
Simply stated, I think the most valuable aspect of spending the time reading/posting to the boards here in OPM is just the comfort I feel knowing that there are others investing their time/sweat/money on this incredible journey. To follow success story after story lends validity to the dream we all share. Hard work, diligence, planning…whatever you wanna call it…it WILL PAY OFF in the end. Congrats to those who hold acceptances this year, and best wishes to those who are still in or will be in the cycle next time.
One more thing, I attended the conference last year in Dallas and found it to be absolutely well worth the investment of time and $$. Putting screen-names with faces makes it all seem real…not to mention they're a fun bunch to hang out with! SOOO, if you're thinking about going to DC this year, GO! GO! GO!
Kevin.

A HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS to all our OPMers who've been accepted into medical school. I am so happy for you guys! This forum has really helped keep me on track too. I've been away for a while and I've noticed I've been letting things slide(I've been putting off studying for the MCAT, among other things). Now that I'm back and I'm reading all your inspirational stories, & Natalie's & Linda's study tips, & so on, there is no way I can let things slide. Now I'm in the company of high achievers, winners, present & future physicians, & really groovy people &, since I'm one of you, I guess I have to act like one of you, so thanks for the pick-me-up guys.

Okay, so here's what I can put together so far:
Linda Wilson (WVSOM)
Sue (from NY,WVSOM)
Mary Bois-Byrne (EVVCOM)
ParamedicRN (EVVCOM)
Tae (Western/COMP)
Pam (spacecadet, Baylor)
Susan Nelson (KCOM)
Kevin911 (University of Texas Health Science Center-San Antonio)
Kim Higgins (TCOM)
Sproule (NJMS)
I know there are still others. Please add your names to the list, and also add anything that you feel OPM has added to the entire process. It is really important that our membership knows that OPM membership is beneficial and fun, all at the same time!

QUOTE (NiceMedTex @ Feb 18 2003, 11:50 PM)
biggrin.gif Congrats to all of those in the Class of 2007!!! I'm very proud of you..!!!
Linda, Congrats to you... email me if you get the time..! smile.gif
Mike..
(NiceMedTex@AOL.COM)

Awesome to see ya back on the boards there Mike! Mike is one of our oldest members...not age-wise, but one of the most senior members that we have!
I LOVE seeing this roll call! I have to be perfectly honest, building & running OPM has required far more work than I ever anticipated and involved a lot more frustration than I ever expected when I had the bright idea to "evolve" a simple e-mail list-serve into a legitimate & nationally recognized organization. But, when I read about all of these success, and see that y'all feel that OPM played a role, it all becomes more than worth it. I look back to see where OPM was, is and where it is heading and know that I am blessed to be running in such an awesome circle of people. Even though I can sometimes be a crotch (ask the EC...they know how driven & impatient I can be), I know that I working with a load of folks who care a great deal for what we have built here. The members of the first edition of the EC, the ones sitting right now, are to be commended -- strongly commended! They started off in ill-defined jobs w/ only the vaguest of direction and have come a long way forward. None of us who "run this show" have any meaningful experience in doing so...in English, that means there's a hell of a lot of flying by the seats of our pants going on. A perfect example of the apparently smoothly gliding duck on the surface actually paddlin his ass off to remain afloat if viewed from beneath!
My deepest appreciation to you all for doing so much to help one another. My main wish is that more of the lurkers would invest themselves more into this...the gains you reap far outweigh the expenditure of resources.

I'm headed to LECOM
Linda Wilson (WVSOM)
Sue (from NY,WVSOM)
Mary Bois-Byrne (EVVCOM)
ParamedicRN (EVVCOM)
Tae (Western/COMP)
Pam (spacecadet, Baylor)
Susan Nelson (KCOM)
Kevin911 (University of Texas Health Science Center-San Antonio)
Kim Higgins (TCOM)
Sproule (NJMS)
Doctortobee (Becky) (LECOM)