How should I spend this summer?

So I have some flexibility in my schedule and a few options for what I’ll do this summer. I’d like to know if anyone can give me some feedback on how to spend my time. At the very least, I’m going to be doing a lab rotation working with dengue and taking 1-2 classes. Here are my options aside:

1. Take some prerequisites. Due to poor grades in the original, I know I’ll need to retake Physics I/II and possibly Chem I/II. I’ll also need to take Orgo I/II as well (long story, only took one orgo class in the first iteration). The advantage is that I’m on full scholarship, so any class I want to take is completely paid for. This will be the best time to take prerequisites before I switch to a lab for my dissertation and need to convince my PI to pay for any classwork I want. If not this summer, I’ll probably get them at night and over summers while otherwise finishing my dissertation, though I’ll have to pay out of pocket.

2. Work and volunteer. I’ve seen few good jobs around my school that would give me fantastic experience and would pay me some money on top of my stipend, which would be nice (my chair admits the stipend I’m given is “embarrassing”). So I could get some experience doing advocacy work and get some money on top of it too.

3. Focus on the lab. I really want to end up in the lab I’m rotating in for my dissertation. The PI is fantastic and she works with the exact kind of pathogens I dream of working with (VHFs). A lot of the older PhD candidates have said they’d totally have worked with her if she was here when they started (she’s brand new). I know that she’s going to take one PhD student around the time I need a lab. The problem is that one of my good friends (who’s an extremely capable person) is also eying that position. The PI knows that I’m interested in working with her for my dissertation and has suggested that I’ll have the first audition for that spot in the form of my rotation. So there’s something to be said for putting in 40-60 hours a week in this lab (rather than the typical 20ish) in lieu of pursuing concurrent opportunities.

I’m thinking that the best option is the third but I’d like feedback from everyone else too!

If I were you, I would go with option 3. Choosing a PI is the most critical decision you make as a PhD student.

You already know you want to join this lab. Do the rotation and show her why she cannot pass up on you.

Good luck!

Personally, I think you look too much like a “Scientist” instead of the Physician/Scientist you want to become.

So I’d try to get some clinical exposure in my schedule if I were you.

I’ve actually got some pokers in the fire for clinical exposure- filled out the application to volunteer with my school’s teaching hospital and I have some contacts I’m working for shadowing. For that matter, I’m technically a public health student and there’s a fair deal of clinical exposure built into my program. I’m in an ID program but we’re actually in a school of public health. I haven’t been prioritizing clinical exposure yet because I have 4-6 years left until med school applications and it appears I’ll be able to pick up quite a bit along the way.

Given that you won’t be applying to medical school for several more years, I’d second docorbust to go with option 3. If you really want to work with your PI for your dissertation, focus on that now.

I agree with pathdr2b that you do, from outward appearances, look like more of a pure lab scientist than a physician+scientist and that doing volunteer work would round you out. But, you could get that experience later. I would suggest that when you do get that clinical experience, consider using your “lab ninja” skills to do real world public health projects (particulary if they are oriented toward the have-nots in underserved areas) instead of just shadowing a doc or candy-striping.

• Fedaykin Said:
I haven't been prioritizing clinical exposure yet because I have 4-6 years left until med school applications and it appears I'll be able to pick up quite a bit along the way.

I guess my point was that if you start gaining that clinical exposure now, in 4-6 years you'll be able to say "I've spent the last 4-6 years gaining clinical experience". And IMHO, that makes you look like a stronger candidate for making the transition from PhD --> MD/PhD.

As an aside, clinical exposure with what's keep me on this path all these years, I'm constantly reminded of what I really want to do.
  • Fedaykin Said:
The PI knows that I'm interested in working with her for my dissertation and has suggested that I'll have the first audition for that spot in the form of my rotation.

There's the answer!

I had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work as a scribe for Dr. Leonard Bailey at Loma Linda children's hospital in CA, but I didn't take it and regret not jumping on the chance.