How to Build A Relationship with my School of Choice

My question is simple, during the conference in Washington DC last week, one of the points that was mentioned was that we should try to build a relationship with the school or schools of choice that we which to attend, and I took notes but I was wondering if someone can give me some more information and to tips on how to do this. I have three schools that I would like to work with; my only concern is what is next. I have the names and contact information for the director of admission for each school I just don’t know what to ask them or what I should request from them. I understand that the goal is to get them to help you fine tune your application to meet the needs of their school, this I understand the only problem I have is what I say and who I say it to. For example do I write an email to the director and request a meeting and if so during that meeting what should I talk about or how should I word the letter.

Basically what should I do to start this process of building a relationship with the admission people at my three favorite schools?

Here’s how I started/maintained “relationships” with my top choice schools, keeping in mind that networking of this sort should ideally be done at least a year before you actually plan to apply.

I started out by calling the minority affairs offices (where appropriate)and getting contact information of the person in charge of minority recruitment. I then sent an email with my pertinent info, GPA’s, MCATs, small list of activities, ect. I followed up by updating them by email at least 3x/year on my progress.

By starting a year early, you could have potentially spoken to an adcom 3 times before they actually see your application, which I believe is a definite plus.

Keep in mind that many schools will not meet with applicants to discuss their application during the application cycle that they submit their application. So, if you want feedback on your specific situation and/or what you can do to improve your package, you need to contact them/meet with them BEFORE you submit your application.

Many people will be better than myself at answering this but certainly would research the schools throughly first so when you talk to them, you have reasons other than say proximity that you are interested in them. This research is not an hard task typically as the school’s web sites are usually full of info.

Being a creature of corporate america myself, I would then outline briefly and coherently in no more than 4 paragraphs, 1) interest in medicine 2) academic, MCAT, and other achievement background, 3) why you are interested in this particular school. Thinking out loud here, I would frame it like a cover letter for a high-level job.

Now before I send the letter, I would by phone contact the school, find the right person, explain VERY BRIEFLY you are a returning/non-trad student and have some questions about background, suggestions, etc and ASK if you can send the above letter in.

Pacing here is the key and solely an art. After sufficient time, follow up with email/phone, and try to follow up even more with a site visit (put a face on your name)

That’s my 2 cents

I am applying for 2010 and have found it relatively easy to network with schools. Mostly, I have been able to attend open houses, introduce myself to admissions staff, get business cards and then follow up. One of these interactions resulted in a personal tour of a med school (set up by the director of admissions). The main thing is to meet people in person and then follow up with an e-mail or phone call requesting a visit. So far, this approach has worked in 2 out of 3 cases for me, resulting in 2 meetings at schools. The 3rd school has been unresponsive, so I am going to drive up for their walk in preadvisement. You should find out if the schools you are interested in have pre-advisement. If they do, take advantage of it! If they dont, attend an open house and make yourself known. Good Luck!

• Emergency! Said:
Keep in mind that many schools will not meet with applicants to discuss their application during the application cycle that they submit their application. So, if you want feedback on your specific situation and/or what you can do to improve your package, you need to contact them/meet with them BEFORE you submit your application.

In general I think this is true which is why I suggested an applicant get started 1 year early, however I think because so many schools are trying to recruit URM applicants, many go out of their way to talk to you and/or set up a visit.

The open house suggestion was right on point!