How to get volunteer experience?

I am currently taking classes at my local community college. I want to begin volunteering now, although I know it would be better to wait until I transfer to a university that has well established relationships with hospitals for its pre-med students.

I would like this board’s thoughts on this: would a stint at a hospital through its volunteer office/program be considered good volunteer experience to future adcoms? I am of the belief that I would probably work in an administrative position as a volunteer, which I would not mind as I am interested in all aspects of the hospital environment; I’m not sure whether such experience would “count” to adcoms. Thoughts?

Thanks to all who reads and responds.

I don’t see any reason to wait - or to go for an admin position. You want to get as much hands-on experience as you can, in my opinion. Yeah, you’re not going to be treating patients, but you’ll want to have some patient interaction outside of just admin duties.

The point of volunteering is that you’ve put your money where your mouth is, you’ve spent time in a medical environment and you’ve tested your interest in medicine somewhat. All of those things speak to volunteering often and finding a position that interests you, and isn’t just a resume builder.

Every volunteer app I’ve seen asks about your area of interest and while admin is there, it certainly isn’t the only option.

I would strongly recommend that if you have the time and desire, you should begin looking for volunteer opportunities now.

Speaking as a post-bacc student at a university with an affiliated medical school, there are no guarantees that your 4-year school will grant you any opportunities for volunteer work that aren’t available to the general public.

Volunteering experience of any kind looks good on your application, so even if you aren’t in a clinical environment, it’s certainly not wasted time. But clinical exposure demonstrates a commitment to understanding the reality of a career in medicine.

Don’t assume that a 4-year college or formal pre-med program is a requirement (or even the best route) to volunteer positions in a clinical setting. I began volunteering at a community hospital prior to beginning my post-bacc program and was immediately placed in the ED where I’m constantly working with patients and providers. Many volunteer coordinators are willing to tailor your volunteering activities to meet your educational/professional goals.

Agreed with the previous posts - no reason to wait!

If you really want to do the admin position, go for it - it’s usually helpful to have volunteer (and other) experiences you are passionate about even if they’re not medically related. Of course clinical experience is good too - but if you have the time and the desire, you can make these two separate experiences.

I would suggest that another option would be to do one or both of the following:

1. Get an allied medical skill or public health skill (medical assisting, phlebotomy, radiology tech, etc.) and use that to gain direct patient care experience. This advice was echoed last year by a panel of adcomm physicians at a premed conference.

2. Find an area of medical/health care where there is a need that exists or a problem that may be solved, and work to filling that need or solving that problem. Look at your “community” or communities in which you are interested. Are there unmet health care needs that are waiting for the right person to fill them/fix them? Perhaps that “right” person could be you? Are there underserved populations that lack health care that could use your help? Indeed, you may be able to take the skills and contacts gained in part 1 (above) and use them to start or carry through part 2.

The above approach is what I have done so far. I learned clinical assisting, phlebotomy, etc. and used that to help start and run some free mobile wound clinics. I also set up health fairs aimed at the homeless and the other underserved groups with little access to health care. The biggest frustration is that unless one is a doctor, it is hard to set up projects like these. I have to find doctors willing to be medical directors, who are willing to do the work, etc.

Hospitalist2Be,

I agree with the previous sentiment. Don’t wait. Also, explore or create opportunities. Volunteer experience does not have to be in the hospital setting. I volunteered at an assisted living facility and had the opportunity to work directly with Alzheimer and dementia patients. And for those of you with children, I brought my children with me (with the approval of the institution). The residents loved it and so did my children and so did I. I also have begun volunteering at a local homeless shelter teaching wellness classes. This shelter is a homelessness intervention shelter. It provides temporary housing (60 days) and services to help people find work and other housing. My thought is that in order for people to truly thrive, they must have their health. Health education is an important component to this. I have also kicked this up a notch recently to certifying residents in CPR and First Aid. For those of you in the SF Bay Area, I am also creating an internship. I’ll post that separately. My point is…don’t wait, consider opportunities outside of the hospital setting, be creative, and don’t be afraid to reinvent yourself. Best of luck to you!

Linda

If you live in an area with a hospital that does clinical research then send a very well-written email about your situation (I am a non-traditional premedical student aged ____ etc) to one of the physicians in the program asking if there are any volunteer opportunities. Clinical research is a way to get clinical experience (scribing pt follow ups, collecting data, basic interviewing) and research experience and it’s often very rewarding. Most of the people I know (including myself) with awesome research or clinical setups have contacted the physician/principle investigator/director directly.

I would agree that going through school might not be your best bet. It’s been my experience that there’s usually a lot of paperwork and arbitrary competitive requirements you have to meet (>3.5 GPA, over 30 credits, 1-2 LOR). If you contact a hospital’s volunteer dept you might find a lot less hoops to jump through–especially if you are over the average college student age.

The Boys and Girls Club in my area is always taking people so you could look there. You can pick your hours and the kids are amazing and unique. It’s not clinical but it has a very similar taste; you’re helping undeserved children.

I’m sorry for taking so long to reply. These are incredibly great ideas. Matt, I am going to follow up on your suggestion, and go for a scribing position I’ve found at a neighboring hospital.

• datsa Said:
I would suggest that another option would be to do one or both of the following:

1. Get an allied medical skill or public health skill (medical assisting, phlebotomy, radiology tech, etc.) and use that to gain direct patient care experience. This advice was echoed last year by a panel of adcomm physicians at a premed conference.

2. Find an area of medical/health care where there is a need that exists or a problem that may be solved, and work to filling that need or solving that problem. Indeed, you may be able to take the skills and contacts gained in part 1 (above) and use them to start or carry through part 2.

This is an excellent idea. I'm going to move on this immediately.