how well can I expect to do on the MCAT

I’m starting prereqs this summer and already have a 4 year degree.

I’ve taken LSAT (top 2%) and GRE top 5% math top 30% verbal.

I looked at the MCAT and there was enough that I just didn’t understand that I really couldn’t predict my score at all.

Its a long way off but anyone wanna give me a ballpark score range? I studied kinda hard for GRE and hard for the LSAT. I used to be good a science in High school. We will see how I do now I guess.

Hm. Best guess, somewhere between 2 and 44. Where you fall in that range is gonna vary, though.

I know comparing standardized tests sucks and LSAT vs MCAT vs whatever debate turns me away from a thread whenever I see it, but there has to be some mathematical correlation between how people do on LSAT vs MCAT or something that is statistically provable? I’m mostly just asking for experienced opinions though.

I don’t know that you really CAN correlate them. Both the LSAT and GRE are testing critical thinking, logic, reading skills, etc more than subject content. How well you do on the MCAT physical and biological science sections is dependent on your preparation in those subject areas.

I would guess, though, that you would do very well on the verbal reasoning section of the MCAT, based on your LSAT performance. Your standardized test taking skills and reading ability may also gain you a couple of extra points on the BS and PS sections. However, you will still need a good foundation in the basic subjects covered to do well in those sections.

When you get to that point, I would recommend doing some of the practice tests that AMCAS provides. Those more than anything will give you an idea of how you will do on the real thing.

• HeyEveryone Said:
I'm starting prereqs this summer and already have a 4 year degree.

I've taken LSAT (top 2%) and GRE top 5% math top 30% verbal.

I looked at the MCAT and there was enough that I just didn't understand that I really couldn't predict my score at all.

Its a long way off but anyone wanna give me a ballpark score range? I studied kinda hard for GRE and hard for the LSAT. I used to be good a science in High school. We will see how I do now I guess.

I have no statistics for you. Everything else I say here is conjecture.

If we assume the SAT is taken by the upper 60% (intelligence-wise) of all students -- a guess, but not an unreasonable guess -- and the GRE is taken by perhaps the upper 50% of college students, your GRE scores are given in comparison with approximately the upper 30% of the population. Let's apply that same reasoning to the MCAT.

The MCAT population is probably quite a bit more selective than the GRE population. If we guess that those who take the MCAT constitute the upper 20% of the college population -- again, only a guess, but I think not unreasonable -- that would suggest that you would be competing against the upper 40% of those who took the GRE (assuming our previous estimate about the GRE population). That is, your upper 5% in Math corresponds to about the upper 12% in the MCAT, and your upper 30% in verbal might put you at the upper 70% or so in MCAT.

Of course, these numbers are wholly fictitious, but the point is that as your competition increases, your scores will reflect that reality. Getting a decent but not outstanding score on the GRE suggests a middling MCAT score, all other things being equal.

Interesting analysis, spoxjox. Just a note, though - the OP took the LSAT (law school admissions test) not the SAT.

Sooooooo I got a 1550 on GRE. Whatcha think??

• tw4sw Said:
Sooooooo I got a 1550 on GRE. Whatcha think??

I have no idea. I don't even know what 1550 means; when I took the GRE, I got three scores, and they were reported separately (800, 800, 740).

The GRE I took in 2005 was broken down into 3 sections: verbal, analytical and quantitative. My total composite score was 1550. I don’t remember the breakdown. In any case nevermind, I know it will have no bearing on how well I do on the MCAT. I was more joking than anything…

I think one BIG reason NOTHING correlates to the MCAT is because the MCAT is curved to fit a normal distribution and I’ve honestly never heard of this for any other standardized exam.

I know people who have taken the GRE/PCAT/MCAT, or the LSAT/GRE/GMAT/MCAT, and many other permutations of all the standardized exams out there, and by far they ALL say the MCAT was their lowest score percentage wise and the most difficut.