Humanities majors---->Med School?

Hey Guys:
I just posted my first thread below (about UCONN post-bacc)
For those who were Humanities majors in college (and took few or no science/ math classes): How did you find the transition from the humanities mindset to science? Any tips or tricks for studying? Did you feel like a fish out of water?
Also, regarding GPA:
I had a 3.6 cum in college (took no science). Will my post-bacc classes just stand alone as the BCPM GPA or will they stand alone AND be added to my 3.6 cum? Just curious…THANKS!

Okay, you’ll need to check AMCAS to make sure this is right, but when I did this (which admittedly was awhile ago), there was the BCPM GPA (bio-chem-physics-math) and the “AO” GPA (All Others), and then the cumulative GPA. Your undergrad GPA sounds like it’ll definitely stand on its own as “AO.” Your post-bacc sounds like IT will stand on its own as “BCPM.” what I’m not sure is whether post-bacc and original grades get combined for the cumulative gPA. I just don’t remember, hopefully someone with more recent experience can comment on that part of it.
You’ll want your BCPM to match, or preferably exceed, that AO GPA which is just fine!

In 2001 when I applied, your post-bacc grades were tallied as undergrad grades. Post-bacc here being defined as the type where you get your pre-reqs after you have a degree in something else where you didn’t take the pre-reqs (not the type for the person with the biology degree taking grad courses to improve their record). So they will become part of the overall GPA.
Tara

You need the underlying algebra and trigonometry skills to be successful in general chemistry and physics. If you’re rusty, take math classes and focus on homework problems, and lots of them. Biology is a bit like studying in the humanities. A few concepts to get down but a lot of just memorizing and understanding concepts and being able to answer substantive questions about the material. I found a study group extremely helpful in biology. We’d go over the notes and explain things to each other. It gave me the discipline to study, and explaining things to other people is very helpful.
For organic chemistry, a study group is, again, helpful, as is a model kit, particularly for visualizing cyclohexane formations.

The post-bacc courses do get figured into the cumulative gpa. I was in the exact same position, with my post-bacc courses making up all of my BCPM credits.
For me, it was a refreshing change to be studying science, as I found the answers much more cut & dried, less subjective than the humanities courses. For me, science courses turned out to be easier than humanities/liberal arts–just the opposite of the way most people see it.
definitely brush up on your algebra & math skills, that will help a LOT. good luck!