Hunter vs. CCNY premed post-bacc

Hi there! I’m a 35-year-old librarian who works in Queens, and I’ve just started to consider going to medical school. However, I’ve got to do a post-bacc program, having had almost no math or science during my undergraduate years. I’m looking at Hunter and CCNY’s premed post-bacc programs. My question is, does anybody know which program offers the greatest scheduling flexibility? I will have to work full-time while going to school, and I’ve heard Hunter’s classes fill up very quickly. I need evening classes that are easy to get into! I was going to try and take my prereqs at a community college, but read where that was a bad idea. Any advice? Thanks!

Hey Julia,

I am on Queens/Nassau Border. I am not specifically familiar with either program you mentioned but if flexibility is your major concern you may want to consider an informal post-bacc program. You could take your classes at any of the NYC area schools, perhaps more than one, I had considered going to Queens College but choose SUNY @ Old Westbury partly for schedulin, partly for classes filling up, and partly for the lack of parking. Perhaps some of our other New York area members can pass on some info on their experiences. Oh, BTW, one of our board members is a defrocked librarian now in her third year in md school.

Librarians do NOT get defrocked. You can take the math at a community college and no one will care. Why don’t you do that first while you kind of scout the lay of the land and see what you can find out about course availability? I don’t know the scoop on New York City. Do not feel you have to take a formal post-bacc. I sure didn’t. Just find a university that offers the courses you need at a schedule that works for you. I was lucky in that I worked in an academic library and my director was willing to let me jack my schedule around to take classes during the day.

• samenewme Said:
Librarians do NOT get defrocked.

Oh, they just come out of circulation?

Back to Julia, actually there is a dizzying number of places to take courses in New York. You may want to contact several places, see which fit your schedules, and you may wind up taking courses at a few different ones to fit your schedule. I also think that the CUNY system has a mechanism to centralize your record. That is, there will be one transcript even though you took courses at several different campuses