Hypertension

Hi all,
I wonder if any of our in-house experts know the answer to this: is there any difference between “essential hypertension” and “hypertension?” Please don’t waste your time going into detail (I’ll do my research). But, I am a little confused. Is essential hypertension a more specific type of hypertension?
I will continue to seek the answer through more reading. I thought I’d bring it up here in case there is a simple response.
Thanks!

Essential hypertension, aka primary hypertension is when there are no identifiable causes for the hypertension (i.e. kidney failure, other disease processes, etc.) Diagnosis of exclusion. 95% of the cases of hypertension fall into this category.
At least, I hope so, or I’m in deep trouble for the exam on Monday (or deeper I should say).
Epidoc

Got it. Essential = idiopathic hypertension. Basically, cardiac conditions such as coronary heart disease are not the factors that cause elevated blood pressure. This differs from the regular “hypertension” in that hypertension is caused by a known factor. Essential hypertension is sort of like primary pulmonary hypertension (hyptertension in the pulmonary arteries due to unknown causes). I’ll confirm once I’m in the mode to research on the topic. I needed to talk that one out. Thank you, Epidoc.

Almost… the only thing I would adjust is that essential hypertension IS the “regular” hypertension-- since it is 95% of the cases. And while the exact “cause” isn’t known, there are predisposing risk factors (obesity, alcohol, lack of exercise). Thankfully not caffeine!
Probably more than you wanted to know, but it’s helping me review
Epidoc

Oh yeah - you did mention that in your initial reply - I must have been reading passively. This is good to know, because I was trying to understand the difference between the two and now I know that they are the same animal.
Once again, thank you for your help. I’m glad I could help you review. Just out of curiousity, what are you studying for?

I was studying for our Cardiovascular Domain exam this morning (I’m a 2nd year). Don’t know how it went though-- I’ve yet to come out of an exam feeling good.
Epidoc

Interesting! I hope you did well.
…yes, thankfully caffiene is NOT a predisposing risk factor. In fact, wasn’t there a study finding that there are CVD benefits to drinking coffee? …or was that wishful thinking? Of course, being an “epi” doc, you’d know that the results of the study could be highly skewed by many factors (sample population, duration of study, definition, study design, etc…).