I am not sure if this is a sign...

Thought I would share an interesting experience right up the old pre-med alley. Today, I went to see a new endocrinologist. I knew nothing about this physician before meeting her. She entered the exam room and all that came to mind was that she was “old” and would she be a “good” and up-to-date doctor. I would place her in her late 60s to early 70s. All the biases about my own medical care confronting me. Well, it turns out, she started medical school at 44, in the early 1980s. I asked if she was happy that she did it and she said that she was happy now. She said that medical school and training was difficult. She was one of two “old ladies” (her words) in her class. When I told her of my plans, she was positive and said do not let anyone or anything dissuade you if that is what you want to do. And, she offered to help if she could.
She seemed to have an active practice, there was a wait to see her - 1 1/2 months. Most of the experience was inspiring…but I have to admit I have a really stupid reflexive age-based bias…I am going to have to fix that. The whole experience made me think…for one, I will be about that old in the “late prime” of my practicing years. The practice did not have a high-tech feel. For instance, she said that she did fine needle aspirations in her office and that she did them. Well, she also had a bit of a Parkinsonian shake to her, which also made me think more about her age. So, my thought then was, I do not feel comfortable with her doing that procedure on me. And at the same time, I felt like such a hypocrite…I will be that old, as I said, in the late prime of my practicing years and I will want someone to trust me with a needle.
Any thoughts anyone? Maybe someone has had a similar experience.
Michelle

The age bias thing? I felt it the other way. I went to one doctor who looked about 12.

Quote:

The age bias thing? I felt it the other way. I went to one doctor who looked about 12.

My son’s first pediatrician looked like maybe he could shave… in a few years or so!

Hi there,
I get the opposite experience; when I enter a room with the rounding team, the patients generally assume I am the attending physician. I always let the chief resident speak with the patient but when they answer his questions, they look at me. I usually stand there and nod in agreement with anything that he is saying.
I have never had a patient ask me how long I have been practicing or refuse to allow me to take care of them because of my age. I have experienced some racial discrimination and I have graciously declined to treat anyone who does not want my help. I always try to find a colleage to treat them. (After all, they are the sick person and I am interested in their good health and comfort after all.)
Good medicine is good medicine no matter where it comes from. The more I practice, the more I realize that it is not me that heals the patient but the patient who heals himself with my assistance.
Natalie

I don’t want 'em too young or too old. By old, I mean old-school “I’m god so sit and and listen while I opine…” you get my drift. I had a YOUNG dentist whose hands shook like the dickens. I dropped him fast!
Kathy

I would worry about any doctor, old or young that had shaky hands, especially for fine procedures. I don’t think you are being a hypocrite on that point.

I can relate to the bad feelings from the doc who thinks he is god. I was back in GTown last week and they were convinced I needed surgery, when I voiced a concern to the surgeon his response was to yell at me and that didn’t go over very well.
Note to self: when dealing with frightened patients, yelling doesn’t help anyone.

Dear me. Yelling? That sounds more than unpleasant. There must be a better way for a physician to express concern or their strong opinion without yelling at patients. Doctors are human, but that is absurd. Geeez.

Yelling at a patient is an awful thing to do. I am sorry to hear that doctor was so rude to you. How did you handle it?