I blew it!

Here I was kicking out the jams all semester to end it by burning out and losing perspective and causing me to (most likely) earn a 3.00 this semester instead of a 4.0. I already saw my A&P II grade, which was a B. I'm still in shock over that one. I got an A in the lecture, but ended up with a B in the lab, and unfortunately, the lab and lecture are averaged together to give me a B. I had an A going into my Gen. Chem final this morning, but I took some major hits on that test. If I made an 85 or better I kept my A, but I could make a 25 and still have a B.
Micro is most likely going to be a B, as well.
There's no way I'm going to get in with B's from a CC, and I know it.
I guess I'm all washed up.

Ash,
Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain.
I blew my Chem I final and ended up with a B. It was a really easy class too. I took a gamble and didn't study the material we went over the last two weeks as much. Unfortunately, it was well covered on the final. Ouch.

Ash,
I certainly understand your emotions about not getting all A's in your classes… but at the same time, you said yourself that the worst you would get in any of the classes are B's! Now I know that it would perhaps be easier to get in to med school with all A's and that's what we're all striving for here being OPM overachievers, but at the same time, I don't see that B grades will keep you out, they're still respectable. I would say that you should still give it a shot. Were you planning to apply this year? If so, go for it! Grades are just one piece of the puzzle. And during that time take some higher level bio (or other science) courses to add to your transcript and prove that you've got what it takes. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised with an acceptance letter. If not, you'll have some more grades to add to your transcripts for the next app cycle. You are not washed up! Good luck!

QUOTE (arciedee @ May 14 2003, 12:57 PM)
Ash,
I certainly understand your emotions about not getting all A's in your classes.... but at the same time, you said yourself that the worst you would get in any of the classes are B's! Now I know that it would perhaps be easier to get in to med school with all A's and that's what we're all striving for here being OPM overachievers, but at the same time, I don't see that B grades will keep you out, they're still respectable. I would say that you should still give it a shot. Were you planning to apply this year? If so, go for it! Grades are just one piece of the puzzle. And during that time take some higher level bio (or other science) courses to add to your transcript and prove that you've got what it takes. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised with an acceptance letter. If not, you'll have some more grades to add to your transcripts for the next app cycle. You are not washed up! Good luck!

Great advice here! Ash, you know it's the whole package deal!!! Now kick butt on your next courses, kick butt on the MCAT and we'll soon see a post from you saying "I'm in!!"
Geoff

Hey Ash,
I have to say I agree with everyone here. It’s a drag to not perform up to ones own expectations but what’s done is done. Try not to let it get you down (easier said than done I know). Keep striving towards your goals and try and do better next time. That’s all anybody can do! smile.gif

I second what everyone else says, plus you may have done better than you think on your chem exam. don't give up!

QUOTE (Ash-O-Rama @ May 14 2003, 10:27 AM)
Here I was kicking out the jams all semester to end it by burning out and losing perspective and causing me to (most likely) earn a 3.00 this semester instead of a 4.0. I already saw my A&P II grade, which was a B. I'm still in shock over that one. I got an A in the lecture, but ended up with a B in the lab, and unfortunately, the lab and lecture are averaged together to give me a B. I had an A going into my Gen. Chem final this morning, but I took some major hits on that test. If I made an 85 or better I kept my A, but I could make a 25 and still have a B.
Micro is most likely going to be a B, as well.
There's no way I'm going to get in with B's from a CC, and I know it.
I guess I'm all washed up.

Hey Ash,
Semper Fi Dude! You are in the trenches and you haven't lost the war! There is nothing wrong with Bs if you know the material well. You gave it your best shot and you've done well. Put this semester behind you and apply with what you have. Plenty of folks have gotten into medical school with Bs from a community college.
You head into the next phase of your studies with a full head of steam. You can't erase what you have done and you have nothing to be ashamed or worried about. There are folks who would kill to have those Bs. I have said many times, if you focus only on the grades, you will drive yourself into the "nut house". If you are resolved that you are going to be a physician, then you are going to be a physician. If I can make, anyone and I do mean anyone, can make it into medical school and out of medical school if you have the determination.
If there were no hurdles, if this was easy, you would not want to to this! Now, get your frosty mug ready and your happy BU-T down here to DC for this extraordinary cheap convention. The Crystal City Marriott is beautiful and we are going to be fun to hang with. All of us have had self doubts. Enjoy yours for a few hours and keep going forward. If you are alive, there is a chance for you to get into medical school. You had a difficult semester and you did well. Not as well as you would have liked but quite respectable. Woo! Hoo!
Natalie smile.gif

Ash,
As long as you have been around here, you should know damned good & well a couple of B's or even a shitty semester can't knock you out of the running. I know & completely understand how disappointing the B's may appear when you had kicked ass all along. But, my friend, this will not be the last time that grades do not work out as anticipated. Far far more critical is the knowledge & comfort that you have by working your tail off in these courses. Even more valuable than the info itself is the absolute knowledge that YOU can do this.
OK, so there are some B's – it ain't the end of the world. One thing that always helped, and continues to this day to help me keep my perspective is to remember where I was and think about where I am now. When ever UTDallas or KCOM would hand me my academic-ass for a hat & I wanted to lament or pitch in the towel - al I had to do is think about all of the other Joes out there who would donate a body part to be in my shoes. Or, for an even more abrupt reality check, when I thought I was suffering & had it bad, all I had to do is think about the kids in the ICU that I helped take care of. In that light, a few B's is not such a monumental thing…
My advice to you…as it has been to many others over the years of OPM…this w/e - wallow in your disappointment & maybe a fistful of adult beverages. But, be ready to get back on that horse Monday morning. Take the bull by the horns and wrestle the SOB to the turf and then IMPOSE your will upon it.
Best of luck & success to you my friend! We are all in your corner and support your aspirations…more importantly, you have a wife-to-be who feels the same way. Let Jenn be there for you. It can be very hard to learn to let someone else stand by you…much easier to be John Wayne-like, but w/ Jenn in your corner, you cannot go wrong.

Your friend,

QUOTE (OldManDave @ May 15 2003, 08:59 AM)
My advice to you...as it has been to many others over the years of OPM...this w/e - wallow in your disappointment & maybe a fistful of adult beverages. But, be ready to get back on that horse Monday morning. Take the bull by the horns and wrestle the SOB to the turf and then IMPOSE your will upon it.

I would second Dave's advice here! Let it make you stronger!

Ash,
I don’t know that I could say anything much better than Dave or Nat, but I will HEARTILY second Nat’s suggestion to grab a frosty mug and meet us all down in DC! Your grades are not bad, and Bs are far from the end of the world! Just keep chugging on. Heck, if I’d listened to people, I’d have been out on my BFA$$ long before now! laugh.gif

Ash, you can do this.
Call it a gut feeling…and my gut is very (very) rarely wrong on things like this! wink.gif
You’ve got some terrific things going for you (e.g. core character, Jenn, OPMs/EC, et al.). Nat’s right, of course! “If I can do this, you can do this.” You might get down…sometimes we all do, but if you can keep your vision of where you’re going, you can get there.
I’m living proof that you can get a couple of B’s and still pull an A average…and be accepted to med school. You can do that! See you in DC for a major OPM’s re-charge! laugh.gif
Mary (PA pre-med post-bacc —> VA med school…you can do it too!)

Thanks guys. All the soothing words have really helped.
Things aren't as dire as I thought. I managed to pull off the only A in General Chemistry. There were only four of us left, and I got the only A. Considering my struggles with the class, I'm truly overjoyed.
So I ended up with two B's and an A.
Yesterday, I drove up to spend the day with my kids at their end-of-the-year school carnival, and during the drive I had a lot of time to think about what I'd learned from the B's. And I realized that what OMD has been preaching is actually the truth (it's surprising, I know–LOL!) Time management is the key. I burned all my jet fuel at the beginning of the semester and by spring break, I was exhausted. Whoever (Nat? Mary?) said that this is a marathon and not a sprint was right. I learned the need to budget my time better. I devoted too much time to Gen Chem because it was my hardest class and let A&P II and Micro get the scraps. I know I didn't put in the time in those labs. One mistake I'll not repeat.
Things are good, though–if not financially.
If all goes according to plan, I'll take Gen Chem II the second summer term. Then in the Fall, I'll take Orgo I, Algebra, and Physics I. Then Orgo II, Physics II, and Calc or Trig. I'll take the MCAT in April, and hopefully get in for 2004.
Thanks for all the warm words.