I could be an asset to a doc

I am a 26-year-old premed living in Long Beach. I recently received an acceptance to one of my first choice medical schools. I feel so happy and grateful. I am so excited that I want to quit my job and start working in medical care again. I have many skills. I am great with computers (currently in programming) and data, have a masters degree in biochemistry, and have done basic and clinical research as well as animal surgery. I love working with people and have both management and clinical people skills. I am looking for a physician to work for, in pretty much any capacity.
Anyone interested?

Opps… That is Long Beach, California

OK, maybe a bit more detail will help. I am a female, really looking for another female physician to learn from. I am looking for anything that will give me a better idea of medical care. I think that I am interested in OB/GYN, Peds or neurology. My experience is in the ER. Give me a chance, I am eager to learn and do.
Thanks again

QUOTE (ndsnds @ Dec 22 2002, 10:19 PM)
OK, maybe a bit more detail will help. I am a female, really looking for another female physician to learn from. I am looking for anything that will give me a better idea of medical care. I think that I am interested in OB/GYN, Peds or neurology. My experience is in the ER. Give me a chance, I am eager to learn and do.
Thanks again

You might not understand the function of our OldPreMeds group...that's okay. OPMs in no way is a formal job site!
There are a few, newly minted physicians here. Most of us are members, like yourself, who are finishing the premed courses (e.g. post-bacc). Mainly, this site is for the encouragement, support, and informal advising of members...from other members!
If you are looking for medical work, you will need to search/network in your area: calling physician's offices, talking with your professors about your interests, volunteering, et al. (I'll use myself as an example, which is not to say "this is how to do it"! I recently got a part-time job as an assistant in my area hospital's MICU. I had to keep calling, be persistent and patient...but I landed the job. Earlier this fall, I trained as a hospice volunteer. You need to keep calling people, asking for the training, shadowing, or volunteer experience that you want!) I also tried the doctor's office route, because I would like to work with a doc. Around here, they all want their assistants to be "Medical Asst." certified. That training takes ~ 9 months --- full time training!
Good luck...write back. This is a great group of people!

I follow your concern about this not being a formal job site. Actually, I would not have even attempted it if I had not seen another post about shadowing that worked out really. Generally, I think you never know until you put yourself out there. Now that I have asked, I am happy.
Take care and good luck smile.gif with your special path!