I got the acceptance!

No, not to medical school. That’s still a while down the road. I’ve been accepted by my first choice PhD program: Tulane University School of Public Health, PhD in Parasitology and Tropical Medicine. While it may be in a public health school, it’s is indeed a bench science program. I visited in the Fall and they have entirely new laboratory facilities going in right now- their BL3 labs were gorgeous. And one great feature of this program- for my elective coursework (up to 16 credits) I can take first/second-year courses in the medical school!

I feel incredible. I discovered this PhD track a few years ago when I was looking for SMS/PB hybrid programs (Tulane has one; for a program with 40-something seats, I ended up #152 on the second waitlist). I remember seeing it and thinking both how awesome it sounded and how I’d never be able to get such a program to even give me a smell with my sub-3.0 uGPA. And now they’ve accepted me with full financial support- the letter actually said that my funding will come from the Dean’s Research Council scholarship, the school’s most prestigious award. I finally feel like all the shit on my undergraduate record that’s held me back has been jettisoned. The decisions to take the risks I’ve taken- ones that would’ve seriously effed up my life pretty badly if I failed- have been vindicated. Four years ago I got laid off from a job I hated, took a huge risk, and decided to shoot for a career in medicine and research. I may not be in medical school yet, but I’m getting dividends. I’m so happy that I’m doing cartwheels even though I have a GI virus. And for extra fun, the letter arrived on my birthday.

WOO-FUCKING-HOO

I wanted to thank everyone on this forum. This place has given helped me clarify to myself what I want in a career and figure out my options for how to get there. I’ve been picked up when I was down, told to do things that worked out even though I thought they wouldn’t, and given a splash of cold water once in a while when I got off focus. You guys rock.

Great job! That is a great program!

There’s more than one path to med school, CONGRATS!!!

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations!!

WOOOOOO- HOOOOO!!! Talk about inspiring!! I do not feel quite so self conscious about my little interactions with a reach school now!! Congratulations!!

Vicki, one piece of advice on that. I visited the program in the Fall and before I went I learned I’d get to meet the chair for a semi-interview. I asked a mentor for advice before I went and he gave me something invaluable. I was expecting stuff about knowing strengths and weaknesses or one killer question that everyone gets wrong. None of that. He told me one thing and it was crucial:

“Be yourself. They’re not going to take the best applicant, they’re going to take the person they want most. You’re either that person, or you’re not. Let them know who you are. And if they don’t want you, you don’t want to go there.”

I went into the meeting with the chair, sat back, and just had a nice conversation for an hour. The only formal question was him asking me to tell him a bit about myself. After that it was all what I was interested in and how I found the program, what I was thinking about for careers, the strategic direction he was imagining for the program (he was recently brought in from outside), and so on.

In mid/late January I got a call. They ended up waiving the interview- my application was competitive with the pool and he liked me when he talked to me a few months prior. I got the unofficial word that day- official notification just arrived on Thursday.

• Fedaykin Said:
I visited the program in the Fall and before I went I learned I'd get to meet the chair for a semi-interview. .

Hint to the wise, there is NO such thing as a semi or informal interview with Faculty at a school. ANY direct contact you have with people who have the power to make decisions in your career, IS an interview.

So my advice is to dress and behave appriopriately.
  • pathdr2b Said:
  • Fedaykin Said:
I visited the program in the Fall and before I went I learned I'd get to meet the chair for a semi-interview. .

Hint to the wise, there is NO such thing as a semi or informal interview with Faculty at a school. ANY direct contact you have with people who have the power to make decisions in your career, IS an interview.

So my advice is to dress and behave appriopriately.

I completely agree with this point philosophically, I was trying to express that it wasn't going to be a standard interview- more of a meet and greet (which it largely was). It was an interview in the sense that I was getting facetime so I could be felt out by the person with the ability to accept or deny me. It wasn't an interview in the sense I was asked no questions beyond "tell me about yourself". Just parsing terminology a bit.

Don't get me wrong- I still went in full business attire and the whole nine yards. I just have difficulty calling it an interview based on the content of the meeting- not the gravity. Heck, it's a big part of what got me in!

Congrats!!!

Congrats! Enjoy New Orleans. It’s a great city. I really miss being there.