I must be crazy....

I am a school psychologist currently working as a contract employee for a software company. I am all but dissertation on my Ph.D. but that ship sailed about 4 years ago. I have wanted to be a physician for as long as I can remember. I was on that track until I allowed my ex husband (key word “ex”) to convince me I could not go to medical school with a small child (now 15). This has been my passion and I am ready to begin the slow methodical process of steering my life back in that direction. I understand the fundamentals of the classes I must take and possibly retake. My biggest concern is financing. I’ve grown accustomed to the post poor college life however I am not afraid of tightening the financial belt. I am just interested to know if someone has some creative ideas for funding what some might consider the important things like food, gas, housing, etc. Beyond financial aid that is…Honestly any advice good, bad, and ugly would be great. I am literally at step 1…and maybe not even there

Thanks!

Here’s my advice. You can decide whether it’s good, bad, or ugly.

Finish up your PhD dissertation. Even if that ship has sailed, get it done. You’re only four years removed. Get it done.

My one great regret in my education is not how bad a student I was, or how I didn’t get good grades in classes I might have done well in, or how long it took me to become a good student. My greatest regret is not even that I decided not to pursue medical school. My one great regret is that when I had finished all my coursework and all my lab work for my Master’s degree, when I had actually written the thesis (first draft, anyway), I did not push it through and get it done, signed off, and published. Even though I might never have used the degree, it is a professional and personal black spot on my invisible curriculum vitae.

Besides, if you were to follow through and earn your MD, having a PhD in pretty much any field, and especially in psychology (which is what I presume your PhD work is in), could only be a great bonus to you.

Finish your PhD.

There’s my advice.