I need some seasoned advice

Its a very long story so I’ll summarize:

1. Wanted to be a doctor since I was in 3rd grade. Love of the human body, how it works, why it works, why disease happens and how to make it better.
  2. Teen mom, had three children before I graduated high school at 19.
  3. Started college as a single welfare mom, it was bumpy to say the least as I also had to work or volunteer to keep aid (so I was a single mom, working and going to school full time)
  4. Got my BS in Business (Finance) in 2001. HUGE upward trajectory but my GPA is only a 3.03 with nil science prereqs.
  5. Finally had my “get off your ass and go after that goal: you did not miss the boat” moment at 41 and am now back at university (I am now 42).

Being that my degree was so long ago and in Finance, I only took general Bio © and General Chem (B) for one semester each back in 1994. I am currently at a major research university doing post bacc work to get all my science prereqs and upper level courses.

So here’s my question: Should I pursue a second UG degree in a science field (right now I am listed as a major in Biochem)? OR should I mainly DIY prereqs and upper division with no intent to earn another UG degree?

I am really so torn on this. I know I need GPA help. I know I need to show that I can handle the work load and information (I currently have a 4.0). I know that I need to prepare myself for the MCAT so that I can kill it. I’m not afraid of the climb, I just want to be sure I am making use of my time, skills, and money in the very best way for my goal: to become a physician.

Thanks to anyone who has any insight or opinion to share.

Welcome!

My opinion is that getting another bachelor’s degree is not going to help you out much. I think that showing strong academic performance in your pre-reqs will get you pretty far. You should also consider taking some upper-level science courses to show that you can handle the academics at that level. If you can do that and do well on the MCAT, you should be in good shape.

Best of luck on your journey.