I need your help

I am almost 29 and graduated from college in 2002 with a double major degree in Accounting and Computer Science - MIS. My GPA was 3.94; no science classes taken at all.

I have always wanted to be a doctor and I had rigorous preparation in Chemistry and Biology back in High School, but there were circumstances which prevented me from this until now. I read a lot of posts here which gave me courage to actually think that I may not be too old to start thinking about med school.

I have a few questions re: med school

• are procedures such as intubation, catheter insertion, lumbar puncture, etc. (you get the idea) are first practiced on dummies before humans?

• are there any pre-med chemistry/biology/physics textbooks which you can recommend to me. I would like to buy and take a look in advance before I even apply to premed. I would like to self assess my learning abilities before i jump in a whole new direction

• I have a high GPA, but my college is rather unpopular and of somewhat low standards (although is a full 4 yr college with some master degree progams nevertheless) - do you think the fact that I earned this gpa in such college will be of a great importance when evaluating my application.

• can you ‘fail’ residency i.e. - are you evaluated during your residency and how difficult is to screw up?

i would appreciate any input. Thanks!!!
  • helenas Said:
I am almost 29 and graduated from college in 2002 with a double major degree in Accounting and Computer Science - MIS. My GPA was 3.94; no science classes taken at all.

Sorry - nothing against you but I just found it rather amusing how in Universities today, CS majors can graduate without having taken any classical science courses. BTW I am/was a software engineer too.

IMHO- Helenas,

I think some of your worries, whether it being about intubation and residency are a little premature for the stage of the game that you are in currenty;

Please do not misinterpret what I mean by saying that. It’s totally acceptable to have concerns and worries, but your main priority in my humble opinion would be to seek out a doctor that would be willing to allow you to shadow him or her for a few days or whatever time they will allow you, then ask them questions that your concerned with. Also, contact your schools of interest and set up an appoitment with their advisors and express your concerns to them.

Just me personally, I would be more worried about getting into medical school than what happens during residency. If your able to make it through your internship, you should be alot more prepared for your residency following that. Also, YOU CAN do anything you want to do! One last little peril of wisdom, a good friend of mine told me the hardest part about becoming a doctor is getting into medical schoo. Some may disagree with this, but it’s advice I still reflect on today, the rest will work itself out as long as you stay motivated and love the profession. Just my opinion only.

• helenas Said:

I have always wanted to be a doctor and I had rigorous preparation in Chemistry and Biology back in High School, but there were circumstances which prevented me from this until now. I read a lot of posts here which gave me courage to actually think that I may not be too old to start thinking about med school.

I have a few questions re: med school

- are procedures such as intubation, catheter insertion, lumbar puncture, etc. (you get the idea) are first practiced on dummies before humans?

- are there any pre-med chemistry/biology/physics textbooks which you can recommend to me. I would like to buy and take a look in advance before I even apply to premed. I would like to self assess my learning abilities before i jump in a whole new direction

- I have a high GPA, but my college is rather unpopular and of somewhat low standards (although is a full 4 yr college with some master degree progams nevertheless) - do you think the fact that I earned this gpa in such college will be of a great importance when evaluating my application.

- can you 'fail' residency i.e. - are you evaluated during your residency and how difficult is to screw up?

i would appreciate any input. Thanks!!!

I wouldn't stress over whether you went to an Ivy League school or not. The important thing is to take some science courses and do well enough in them to qualify you for entrance to medical school.

If you're uncertain of your science aptitude and would like to test the waters, by all means go to the library or buy a used general chemistry textbook, read the chapters and work through the problem sets. Or perhaps you can arrange to audit a class at your local college or university. There are vast resources available today for self-study, including MIT's entire curriculum at ocw.mit.edu including the video lectures on Youtube.

Best of luck,

helenas,

I would have to agree with everyone in here! Do not stress out about what’s going to come after medical school You have a long way to go before you have to intubate or put a central line in your first patient. By this time you’ll forget that it was ever concerning you.

As to General Chemistry and physics… I think that someone who got 3.94 GPA and has a strong desire to become a doctor, won’t have any problems with fulfilling the pre-med requirements. It’s not going to be easy - in general sciences require lots of outside work, but it’s definitely doable. There’re tones of books out there. I think the best idea would be to stop by any college bookstore and just browse through their required textbooks. I definitely wouldn’t spend any money for books that you might end up not using. The whole process of preparing and getting into med school is soooooooooo expensive that you definitely don’t need to spend money for things like that.

Good luck to you,

Kasia

hi, thanks a lot for your insights.

I am not quite worried about not getting into med school, because that will simply mean it was not meant to be. Financially, I can afford this scenario.

What I cannot afford is to go through 2 yrs of med school, and when the time comes to do interships, to find out I will totally suck in practice (I am not very handy). Hence my questions above. So if you could please share your answers in regards to those, I would greatly appreciate it

(copying from above)

• are procedures such as intubation, catheter insertion, lumbar puncture, etc. (you get the idea) are first practiced on dummies before humans?

• can you ‘fail’ residency i.e. - are you evaluated during your residency and how difficult is to screw up?

Thank you for the inspiration, i am so glad i found this board!

Hi helenas:

I agree with the others that your concerns are pretty premature. I am not in medical school and can only tell you my experiences during clinical rotations as a respiratory therapy student. I am going to safely assume the training is similar for other ancillary health professions.

In short, there was a didactic and clinical portion to our training. When I did my intubation rotation in the OR of the hospital where I worked, the only hands on training on a dummy was in the lab at school. I trained before they had all of those cool dummies they have now (SimMan, etc.; the program I graduated from has one now. It’s a really cool tool). Despite the limited practice with the dummy, there is nothing like having to do it on a real person - I was scared to death - but, I did it (the anesthesiologist was very encouraging and was impressed with my technique - my first intubation).

I’ll also share this with you - I was the most improved student in my clinical rotation for critical care at the time - because I nearly cried whenever it was time for me to do anything - suction, bag, IPPB, talk to a doctor, talk to the nurses - I was a complete mess!). It’s all about building up that confidence, which helps you in your interaction with the patient, as well as your peers.

I haven’t intubated for over ten years, but feel that if I had to, I could do it (without causing major bad damage - which is one of the hazards of this invasive procedure). I’ve assisted doctors (residents) with many intubations - you just need to get in there and take care of your patient.

Perhaps you should consider shadowing a physician, nurse, respiratory therapist, PA to see what they do and inquire with them about how they handled clinicals. Just don’t put that cart before the horse.

Good luck with your plans and welcome to OPM!

My $0.02.

• helenas Said:
What I cannot afford is to go through 2 yrs of med school, and when the time comes to do interships, to find out I will totally suck in practice (I am not very handy).

You will do two years of "basic science" in med school, followed by two more years of clinical rotations in med school where you get a lot of hands-on experience under supervision. You're not an intern until you have completed four years of med school and graduated with an M.D. or D.O. degree.

Not everyone who's a doctor has excellent manual dexterity. I *think* this is what worries you? You'll have to do some procedures - venipuncture, lumbar puncture, etc. - but when you do them as a student, you will *always* be supervised, and when you do them as an intern or resident (interns = first post-graduate year; residents = second through final post-graduate years) you will be supervised until you have shown that you can do them effectively. Depending on what specialty you choose for your residency and career, you might not have to do much in the way of procedures.

• In reply to:
Hence my questions above. So if you could please share your answers in regards to those, I would greatly appreciate it

(copying from above)

- are procedures such as intubation, catheter insertion, lumbar puncture, etc. (you get the idea) are first practiced on dummies before humans?

As lpressley said, there are some nifty learning lab models now, but much of what you do will be on real live people UNDER SUPERVISION. You are NEVER allowed to hurt people. But much of what you do can't be practiced on dummies or models first - it doesn't look, feel or act the same. (my classmates and I practiced venipuncture on one another)

• In reply to:
- can you 'fail' residency i.e. - are you evaluated during your residency and how difficult is to screw up?

Residency is a learning experience and so yes, you absolutely are evaluated at every step along the way. It can be a tough learning environment but it is also meant to be one where you succeed. People who are struggling are generally helped to do better, not just failed out. Everyone screws up *some*thing in residency. If you don't mess up anything, you haven't worked hard enough or tried hard enough, or extended your abilities enough. You are *expected* to make mistakes.

I agree with others' advice: shadow a doctor and find out what s/he does. See if you can put yourself in his/her shoes. There are a LOT of books about residency, written by physicians. You might find some of them helpful. (but take them with a grain of salt) Keep listening, keep talking to people, and find out more.

You sound like you have a bad case of "fear of the unknown," and learning more about the actual experiences of med school and residency will hopefully assuage those fears. Good luck!

Mary