If you were over 40 when you graduated from a US MD med school.....

Wow! It is wonderful to hear such inspirational stories. I am currently doing some soul searching on the medical school issue. I am 42 yrs old and I have been a single mom until recently (married 3 yrs ago). It has been my dream to become a physician for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, I simply did not have an adequate support network to make it happen until now. In practice, I would very much like to be in family medicine. I have worked as a nurse for the last 10 years and I am debating between medical school or a family nurse practitioner program. I hate to say it, but financial matters are weighing in on the issue pretty heavily. I have heard of one bridge program NP–> MD at one of the Carribean medical schools, but this is certainly a newer concept. Any input or thoughts?

started Med school at 45 - graduated at 49 - Family practice residency completed at 52-- 2 years in practice…

State of NH is helping with debt in order to keep me in an underserved area

Med school 43, graduated 47, FM residency completed at 50, year in private practice and now on FM faculty at Medical College of GA. If your ultimate goal is physician go for it. There is loan money available for tuition and living expenses during med school. Loan forgiveness, either via government programs or not-for-profit hospitals, will help offset your obligations during or after residency. Since the credit meltdown of 2008, I don’t know if you can still defer your student loans until after residency, but I had that option. Does anybody have current info on this?

There are income-based repayment plans and forbearance (in which interest continues to accumulate). There is a limited amount of primary care loans available (replacing about 30% of my student loan balance) with a reduced 5% interest and deferred during residency. So it’s still manageable, but the days of interest-free deferral during residency are over.

I’m in the same boat; 29 and just decided to pursue my premed courses. I’m giving myself 10 yrs to be in and out of med school, that’s with factoring in family planning and life events. Thanks for the inspiration!

yes the credit meltdown of 2008 has changed many things. And the rates can only go up

As a nurse practitioner now in medical school, let me say that there is no advantage to going the long way around. The Caribbean school markets itself to nurses. However the “bridge” program does not greatly decrease your time in medical school, the school is not particularly cheap, and due to the possible delays in matching, you could well take exactly the same amount of time as if you had gone to medical school in the States. Setting your sites on a US medical school is, in my opinion, a better strategy. Having said that, I felt that a DO school was more compatable with the holistic and hands-on approach I learned as a nurse-midwife, and I have found it to be a good cultural fit.

That’s not to say that FNP is the wrong way to go…but I wouldn’t do it if what you really want to do is be a doctor. My best advice is to shadow an FNP – they should be open to that - to really get an idea of what that would be like. And, shadow a doctor. What’s the same and different about their days? This will give you a good basis on which to decide.

Kate

All of you are inspiring me. Maybe I’m not too old. Although my hubby thinks I am having a mid life crisis of some sort. Maybe I should tell him I want a super fast sports car :slight_smile:

I’m 48 and I need to finish my bachelors and in that process cover all the prerequisites which I don’t have.

I am also looking into a few Masters degree programs which may or may not be less stressful than medical school. The one that does interest me the most is Anesthesia Assistant.

I have always had a love for all things medical but I have always felt I am not smart enough for medicine. My daughter has a pulmonary stenosis and every time we go get an echo my eyes are glued to the monitor. I thank God that hers is minor and should go away on its own. It doesn’t seem to bother her.

Anyways after reading this thread I don’t sound as crazy as I thought.

Not graduated yet, but will be 60 when I become a doctor…Read on…

I refer to this little story all the time, have not found good links to it and said “Awww heck, just post it!” This one is for everyone on the site who thinks they are “too old”!!

The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure.

= Joseph Campbell

No one epitomizes the fact that success is a journey and not a destination than the many green and growing “human becomings” who do not allow age to be a deterrent to accomplishment. Florence Brooks joined the Peace Corps when she was 64 years of age. Gladys Clappison was living in the dormitory at the University of Iowa working on her Ph.D in history at the age of 82. Then there was Ed Stitt, who at the age 87, was working on his community college degree programme in New Jersey. Ed said it kept him from getting “old-timers’ disease” and kept his brain alive.

Probably no one person has stirred my imagination over the years more than Walt Jones of Tacoma, Washington. Walt outlived his third wife to whom he was married for 52 years. When she died, someone said to Walt that it must be sad losing such a long-time friend. His response was, “Well, of course it was, but then again it may be for the best.”

“Why was that?”

“I don’t want to be negative or say anything to defame her wonderful character, but she kind of petered out on me in the last decade.”

When asked to explain, he went on to add, “She just never wanted to do nothin’, just kind of become a stick-in-the-mud. Ten years ago when I was 94, I told my wife we ain’t never seen nothin’ except the beautiful Pacific Northwest. She asked me what was on my mind, and I told her I was thinking about buying a motor home and maybe we could visit all 48 of the contiguous states. ‘What do you think of that?’

“She said, ‘I think you’re out of your mind, Walt.’”

“’Whydya say that?’ I asked.”

“We’d get mugged out there. We’d die and there wouldn’t be a funeral parlor.’ Then she asked me who is going to drive, Walter? And I said, ‘ I am, Lambie.’ ‘You’ll kill us!’ she said.

“I’d like to make footprints in the sands of time before I check out, but you can’t make footprints in the sands of time if you’re sitting on your butt…unless you intend to make buttprints in the sands of time.”

“So, now that she’s gone, Walt, what do you intend to do?”

“What do I intend to to? I buried the old gal and bought me a motor home. This is 1976, and I intend to visit all 48 of the states to celebrate our bicentennial.”

Walt got to 43 of the states that year selling curios and souvenirs. When asked if he ever picked up hitchhikers, he said “No way. Too many of them will club you over the head for four bits or sue you for whiplash if you get into an accident.”

Walt hadn’t had his motor home but a few months and his wife had only been buried for six months when he was seen driving down the street with a rather attractive 62-year-old woman at his side.

“Walt?” he was asked.

“Yeah,” he replied.

“Who was the woman sitting by your side? Who’s your new lady friend, Walt?”

To which he replied, “Yes, she is.”

“Yes, she is what?”

“My lady friend.”

“Lady friend? Walt, you’ve been married three times, you’re 104 years of age. This woman must be four decades younger than you.”

“Well,” he responded, “I quickly discovered that man cannot live in a motor home alone.”

“I can understand that, Walt. You probably miss having someone to talk to after having had a companion all these years.”

Without hesitation Walt replied, “You know, I miss that, too.”

“Too? Are you inferring that you have a romatic interest?”

“I just might.”

“Walt…”

“What? “ he said.

“There comes a time in a person’s life when you knock that stuff off.”

“Sex?” he replied.

“Yes.”

“Why?” he asked.

“Well, because that kind of physical exertion could be hazardous to a person’s health.”

Walt considered the question and said. “Well, if she dies, she dies.”

In 1978 with a double digit inflation heating up in the US, Walt was a major investor in a condominium development. When asked why he was taking his money out of a secure bank account and putting it into a condo development, he said, “Ain’t you heard? These are inflationary times. You’ve got to put your money into real property so it will appreciate and be around for you later years when you really need it.” How’s that for a positive thinking?

In 1980 he sold off a lot of his property in and around Pierce County, Washington. Many people thought Walt was cashing in his chips. He assembled his friends and quickly made it clear that he was not cashing in his chips, but he had sold off the property for cash flow. “I took a small down and a 30-year contract. I got four grand a month comin’ in until I’m 138.”

He celebrated his 110th birthday on the Johnny Carson Show. He walked out resplendent in his white beard and black hat looking a little like the late Colonel Sanders, and Johnny says, “It’s good to have you here, Walt.”

“It’s good to be anywhere at 110, Johnny.”

“110?”

“110.”

“1-1-0?”

“What’s he matter, Carson, you losin’ your hearin’? That’s what I said. That’s what I am. What’s the big deal?”

“The big deal is you’re within three days of being twice as old as I am.”

That would get your attention, wouldn’t it? One hundred and ten years of age – a green, growing human becoming. Walt picked up the opening and quickly alluded to Johnny.

“How old would you be if you didn’t know the date you were born and there weren’t no durned calendar to semi-depress you once a year? Ever heard of people getting depressed because of a calendar date? Oh, Lordy, I hit my 30th birthday. I’m so depressed, I’m over the hill. Oh, no, I hit my 40th birthday. Everybody in my work team dressed in black and sent a hearse to pick me up. Oh, no I’m 50 yeas old. Half a century old. They sent me dead roses with cobwebs. Johnny, who says you’re supposed to roll over and die when you’re 65? I have friends more prosperous since they were 75 than they were before. And as a result of a little condominium investment I made a few years ago, I’ve made more bucks since I was 105 than I did before. Can I give you my definition of depression, Johnny?”

“Go ahead.”

“Missing a birthday.”

May the story of Walt Jones inspire all of us to remain green and growing every day of our lives.

Victoria A. Vargas, LCSW-R - 50 years old

AAS - Cazenovia College, 1982

BSW - SUNY Brockport, 1995

MSW - Syracuse University, 1996

Goal date for admission - Fall 2015

“It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog!”

Hello Dave:

You are probably 48 or 49 now. Let me tell you something, Dave, you are not old, you are awesome!! I hope that residency/work or whatever is going really great for you.

I am 53. Multiple obstacles, including bankruptcy happened to me between 2000 and 2009. Finally, I am gettting back in the saddle. This time I will not allow anything to stop me. In about 72 weeks, I should be graduating.

I hope God leads you to this reply.

Joyce

Hello Victoria:

I am inspired! God is not finished with me yet either. I am 53 years old. Bankruptcy, deaths, a sick child, and a failed marriage has been a few of the obstacles that impeded my progression. Like, I told “Old Dave”, I am back in the saddle and will be trotting on in to the finish line. And I trust God’s promise that the breath I take as I step across that line will not be my last.

The best of luck to you,

Joyce

Hi Joyce! When I had realized God was leading me towards med school and still praying for confirmation, I found another person, 53, just graduating from med school (the very school I ended up going to). It encouraged me to realize that I was not the only person of this age called, despite difficulties (or perhaps partially because of them!) into this wonderful profession at this stage of life. You’re not alone and it is an exciting journey!

Kate

I guess I don’t count cause I turned 40 2 months after I started residency!

Started med school at 42, graduated FM residency 1 year and 4 months ago at age 52.

I have not yet applied. But school is still expensive and there are other important expenses R/T children.

การจัดบ้านและสวน

The replies I’ve been reading here are uplifting. I am 61 now, so probably won’t start school until age 62. I cannot stop thinking about it.

Hello.Are you happy that you started medicine at this age?

Wow this is probably the most inspiring thing I’ve read. I’ve been debating med school for the better part of a decade! If you are still out there let me know what area of practice you ended up going into!

Very impressive! I would be exhausted but you are an inspiration! :grinning:

Do it, otherwise you might always regret it. #yougotthis