I'm confused now, is it really this easy?

another poster posted this:

• In reply to:
"GPA and Credit Hour Computations

AACOMAS will calculate your GPA and credit hours according to the following rules – GPAs and credit hours will be calculated for Science, Non-Science and All course work. Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science.

Courses with AACOMAS grades of Pass, Non-pass, and Advanced Placement are not included in GPA calculations. Only the last instance of a repeated course is included in GPA calculation.

April 28, 2008"

AACOMAS Online under "Instructions for completing Colleges and Coursework"

So Lets say I had a 2.8 undergrad and I then went and retook all my science and anything else, retook them to a 3.8 average....... that is now my average for DO schools?

I never understood that you could just retake everything and then only that would count for DO?

Please tell me here, another poster is saying just that based on the above.

If this is true then all the premeds out there would just have to go back to undergrad and redo what ever to up the GPA then they are in.

WOW is this true?
  • DRFP Said:
another poster posted this:

• In reply to:
"GPA and Credit Hour Computations

AACOMAS will calculate your GPA and credit hours according to the following rules – GPAs and credit hours will be calculated for Science, Non-Science and All course work. Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science.

Courses with AACOMAS grades of Pass, Non-pass, and Advanced Placement are not included in GPA calculations. Only the last instance of a repeated course is included in GPA calculation.

April 28, 2008"

AACOMAS Online under "Instructions for completing Colleges and Coursework"

So Lets say I had a 2.8 undergrad and I then went and retook all my science and anything else, retook them to a 3.8 average....... that is now my average for DO schools?

I never understood that you could just retake everything and then only that would count for DO?

Please tell me here, another poster is saying just that based on the above.

If this is true then all the premeds out there would just have to go back to undergrad and redo what ever to up the GPA then they are in.

WOW is this true?

As far as I know, AAMCAS averages the grades if the course was repeated, and AACOMAS replaces the old grade with the newer one. Either way, since you can't retake /every/ class, your science GPA could be pulled up significantly but your overall GPA would still be poor.

Yes, AACOMAS only uses the latest grade in a course to figure the GPA, BUT every course is listed on the transcript so it is known that courses were repeated. The other caveat is that the course has to EXACTLY match the course you took before. For example, if you took an algebra and trig course and got a ‘C’ or lower, you cannot replace it with a basic algebra course and a basic trig course. It has to be the identical course; general physics cannot be replaced with physic 1 and 2; etc.

Like Tim said above, though, most people can’t repeat every class. But, if you have some, especially BCPM courses, then it might be worthwhile to repeat them. I think that would be true regardless of whether you are applying DO or MD. The better grades in recent coursework are always a plus!

• Linda Wilson Said:
Yes, AACOMAS only uses the latest grade in a course to figure the GPA, BUT every course is listed on the transcript so it is known that courses were repeated. The other caveat is that the course has to EXACTLY match the course you took before. For example, if you took an algebra and trig course and got a 'C' or lower, you cannot replace it with a basic algebra course and a basic trig course. It has to be the identical course; general physics cannot be replaced with physic 1 and 2; etc.

Like Tim said above, though, most people can't repeat every class. But, if you have some, especially BCPM courses, then it might be worthwhile to repeat them. I think that would be true regardless of whether you are applying DO or MD. The better grades in recent coursework are always a plus!

Ok I understand and this is what I always have told others, but the reason I asked is because on another thread it is posted as if this was easy to do, I did not think so.

so this is what I get and have understood before:

1. Poor undergrad ( Under 3.0)

2. Retake some classes, Most colleges only allow retakes under a C and then only so many.

3. MD averages the retakes and DO replaces But

4. Both Look at overall and how many retakes and the W's and F's

5. So you are at a disadvantaged at times even with retakes and DO.

It's just not that easy Right? Just more forgiving applying to DO.

for AACOMAS you replace old grades with new grades, yes. It hardly strikes me as easy - especially if there are a lot of old grades to replace.

Yes, apparently AACOMAS now replaces old grades with new grades, bu AMCAS still averages all of them. Back when I was applying, 1998, both agencies averaged. I am not aware when AACOMAS changed their process.

What ever the case, I would really not consider it “easy” or “easier” to retake all of your underperformances. Statistically, retakers are unlikely to improve their grades, unless there are extenuating circumstances that caused the poor grade in the first place.

I have seen a couple of people re-taking a science class they dropped and, as Dave said, not faring much better the second time around. My guess is that the habits and/or learning style did not not significantly improve from one semester to the next. Plus, there seemed to be a bit of anxiety in these students…fear of the known.

For someone to repeat a class they took 10 years ago, that’s probably a different story. If you were too busy cruising the social circuit to study the first time around, then there’s a good chance you’ve cleaned up your act a bit today.

I contacted the AACOM, then clarified this question on a different post.

From what I understand and to confirm what you all are saying…

AAMC

~uses the “BCPM” and the “AO”

~averages all of your grades together even the Bs, Cs, Ds, and Fs you retook and got higher grades in.

AACOM

~uses the BCP and “other sciences” but calculates the M (math) in with the AO (all other) category.

~does not average your Bs, Cs, Ds, and Fs of classes you retook and got higher grades in.

I do not think it is in any way easy to walk the DO path. You take an additional 200 hours of education on top of the same MD education. The difference in the application process seems to be that the AACOM recognizes that people experience hardships in life, and they do overcome them. It’s all clear to me now why the DO industry has a long tradion of training OldPreMeds and 2nd Career goers.

• OldManDave Said:
Yes, apparently AACOMAS now replaces old grades with new grades, bu AMCAS still averages all of them. Back when I was applying, 1998, both agencies averaged. I am not aware when AACOMAS changed their process.

What ever the case, I would really not consider it "easy" or "easier" to retake all of your underperformances. Statistically, retakers are unlikely to improve their grades, unless there are extenuating circumstances that caused the poor grade in the first place.

Yes I understand everyone and thank you, I think of it as easier since AMCAS you cannot retake and have a replace, you have a second chance with DO schools, but another poster was making it out as easy, at least I thought.