I'm done with medical school

Can you believe it? I know I sure can’t. Friday was officially my last day but some wild notion of teamwork and feeling a duty to my MICU patients made me offer to come in Monday and Tuesday since my team didn’t finish up until yesterday. As of yesterday at approximately 5:00 pm, I am completely finished with medical school (unless I decide to do some additional electives…still debating that idea).
It’s been a long, hard road since I decided to become a doctor at age 6. Now, almost exactly 30 years later, it’s a reality. It’s going to take a while for that to sink in. For all of you who are coming back to medicine as non-traditional students, please know that if this is what you know you’re meant to do in life, nothing can stop you if you put your whole heart and soul into it. If I had listened to everyone who told me I should just give up my dreams and do something else with my life, I wouldn’t be here about to graduate from medical school today. No one can keep you from your dream if you want it bad enough.
Anyway, off the soapbox, on to celebrating and other such nonsense. I have four years of movies to watch, books to read, friends to see and dogs to play with at the moment.
Jane

Quote:

Can you believe it? I know I sure can’t. Friday was officially my last day but some wild notion of teamwork and feeling a duty to my MICU patients made me offer to come in Monday and Tuesday since my team didn’t finish up until yesterday. As of yesterday at approximately 5:00 pm, I am completely finished with medical school (unless I decide to do some additional electives…still debating that idea).
It’s been a long, hard road since I decided to become a doctor at age 6. Now, almost exactly 30 years later, it’s a reality. It’s going to take a while for that to sink in. For all of you who are coming back to medicine as non-traditional students, please know that if this is what you know you’re meant to do in life, nothing can stop you if you put your whole heart and soul into it. If I had listened to everyone who told me I should just give up my dreams and do something else with my life, I wouldn’t be here about to graduate from medical school today. No one can keep you from your dream if you want it bad enough.
Anyway, off the soapbox, on to celebrating and other such nonsense. I have four years of movies to watch, books to read, friends to see and dogs to play with at the moment.
Jane

Hi Jane,
Let me be the first here at OPM to say: Congratulations Dr. Jenab! You are going to be an asset to our profession and I welcome you into the ranks. Isn’t being done just the greatest feeling?
I know that you are going to have a great and interesting career. You have already done some wonderful things and there is more to come. Your future patients are going to love you!
Natalie

Thanks, Natalie. Ooooh…Dr. Jenab. That’s the first time someone has put that in print. Looks pretty cool, I must say!
Jane

Congrats! Congrats! I can’t wait till my day comes!

Sorry I haven’t posted my congratulations sooner, DOCTOR Jenab, but after talking with you earlier this week, you know how happy I am for you!!
Now it’s wait and see for match day. I have a strong feeling you will get your first choice. And then, before you know it, you’ll be practicing on your own and establishing your home and all you want to go with it!!
For now, though, enjoy some time off and sit back and bask in the glory of your accomplishment!!

Congrats! What an accomplishment!
Um…I’ve had this pain in my knee…

Just kidding! Really, congrats!

Thanks, everyone! You know, I’m having really hard time not doing anything, though. I keep waking up at 5 or 6 am and being stressed out because I have nowhere to go! Insanity, pure insanity. I think I’m going to have to figure out something else to do since I can’t imagine actually having 4 months of this before residency starts! I’m going to volunteer at the free clinics in town, I’m fostering a greyhound through the local rescue chapter starting this week, I’m catching up on movies and books I’ve been waiting to read and I’m doing an advanced Spanish language CD course at the moment. It’s just that the intense mental stimulation that I had for four years is suddenly gone and I miss it! I should be committed. Anyway, thanks for all of the well-wishes!
Jane

Quote:

Jane, enjoy it while you can! Once you start working it quickly loses its thrill value (sleepy voice: “This is Dr. Renard, I was paged… uh, this is Dr. Renard, I was paged… this is Dr. Renard, I was paged…”)

LOL!!!
Quote:

My husband just earned his Ph.D. and is thrilled to be a doctor.

How ironic, my DH should be finishing up his PhD around the time I finish too(or maybe I should change that to start a the rate I’m going!)! Congrats to him!!!
And congrats to the OP!!!

Nice!!!