I'm finally starting my journey to MD in January

I’m 30 now, i’m starting my medical school journey Jan 7th. I can’t believe i’m finally do this. I’m registered for Physics with lab and Inorganic chem with lab at a local comm college. The best part, the comm college is dirt cheap, it’s accredited, more than 80% of the science faculty are PhD degree holders( yes i check these things esp with cc), it was just recently approved to grant bachelors degree including bachelors of science, and they have past graduates who are now physicians.

Part of my journey is controlling my costs the best way i can. I’m paying for pre-requisites out of pocket. I already have undergraduate loans that i plan to reduce before i start accumulating more debt.

I’ve been reading so many inspirational stories on this forum from non-traditional medical students and graduates. I have to say kudos to all the non-traditional students and graduates with family and single parents,on here. How can i complain about this being a tough journey when people like you can successful pursue this goal with family responsibilities. Whenever i meet someone younger than i am complaining about the challenges of pursuing any undergraduate college degree, i quickly refer them to this forum.

Good for you Msalexis29! I went the community college route as well mainly due to time constraints (I work during the day, needed classes at night). I did find the instructors with PhDs did a better job teaching the material than those without but I’m sure that depends. You will need those tenured professors to write you good letters of recommendations. Good luck and welcome on board. I look forward to hearing you succeed in your pre-reqs, ace the MCATs, and do well on your interviews.

Welcome and good luck on your premed journey!

Welcome aboard the crazy train!! Toot toot!!

Welcome to the ‘family!’ We are a crazy, slightly dysfunctional group, but we like it that way! Congrats on getting started, and thanks for making us a part of your journey.

Welcome!

Welcome!!! This is an excellent forum full of super supportive and like-minded people who understand this journey. It’s a great place to vent, celebrate, ask for advice, and just be yourself.

I myself have been less active on this forum this semester, but I always pop in to see what everyone is up to and even if I don’t post I’m always cheering everyone on. I know that others here feel the same and that is a great thing to have. Other sites, like SDN, are not so cheery or supportive (though SDN has its place) so OPM is just a real oasis in this nontrad premed trek.

Once again, WELCOME!

• syr_eng2md Said:
I did find the instructors with PhDs did a better job teaching the material than those without but I'm sure that depends. You will need those tenured professors to write you good letters of recommendations.

Ahem, there ARE good professors out here who aren't tenure track and who ARE good!
  • pathdr2b Said:
  • syr_eng2md Said:
I did find the instructors with PhDs did a better job teaching the material than those without but I'm sure that depends. You will need those tenured professors to write you good letters of recommendations.

Ahem, there ARE good professors out here who aren't tenure track and who ARE good!

Not sure I agree...since the conclusion is in the premise your argument would be circular.

Just kidding!