I'm in the library 'studying????

So I’m studying in the library today and noticed a very strange phenomena. Students will come in, read for a few minutes and then sleep for hours. They’ll awaken to their cell phone ringing and actually say “I’m in the library studying”.

I’m speechless. There are also those who spent their time surfing the internet who claim the same thing. I guess these are the ones who will complain about not understanding the concepts “after spending hours in the library studying

There was a young lady who actually asked someone to move so she could use the power cord for her laptop…then proceeded to pull a few books of the shelf…then nighty night? I’m studying at the local CC since their library is the closest to being quiet. I wasn’t prepared for the snoring that’s for sure.

See what you miss out on when you don’t go the traditional route thru undergrad. Just thought I would share during my break.

That’s funny and disturbing at the same time. I wish they could take all the scholarships, grants, and loan money back from those students and give the money to those of us who are in desperate need of it so we can save and improve the lives of others.

I’m studying err…on the net err…studying yeah thats right LOL.

What in the heck is break time then a coma? LOL

• croooz Said:
So I'm studying in the library today and noticed a very strange phenomena. Students will come in, read for a few minutes and then sleep for hours. They'll awaken to their cell phone ringing and actually say "I'm in the library studying".

I'm speechless. There are also those who spent their time surfing the internet who claim the same thing. I guess these are the ones who will complain about not understanding the concepts "after spending hours in the library studying"

There was a young lady who actually asked someone to move so she could use the power cord for her laptop....then proceeded to pull a few books of the shelf.....then nighty night? I'm studying at the local CC since their library is the closest to being quiet. I wasn't prepared for the snoring that's for sure.

See what you miss out on when you don't go the traditional route thru undergrad. Just thought I would share during my break.

*ponders* Ok, so why is it these people are, as JCE so eloquently pointed out, the ones probably getting financial aid? Is this what they're telling the scholarship committee? "I study for ten hours every day."

Sheesh. I'm going to test this theory Croooz and do some reading out of my EMT textbook in the library on Friday and see if it's like that at my CC too...I guess I can't say I'll be studying though since I won't be snoring. We shall see.

Hey all the cool kids study in the Library, There are a few who leave their books in the library and take up a desk for hours while they are off shopping ect…LOL good thing the stores are closed on Bonaire after 5pm, but then they can snooze awhile too…

So since I study about 4 hours if we count sleep thats like 11 to 12 a day right LOL

I don’t think they interview you and ask how many hours a day you study when they give out the financial aid. Generally you have to maintain good grades to keep it, though. They’ll learn.

You guys are too funny. How did financial aid come into the picture? How is there even a correlation?

The post is how sleeping in the library is considered equivalent to studying in the library. Sheeeesh. Let’s not project our financial aid issues. That’s for another thread.

After my first post a couple sat caddycorner to me and I can’t say for certain what was going on…BUT…one of her hands was underneath the table and there was some weird breathing and slight grunts while he was “studying” his book. Luckily my time was up and I got up and left. Me thinks I won’t be going back to the “quiet” corner of the library anymore.

SHeeesh the other CC campus library has a basement and I had to quit going there because there wasn’t a time that there weren’t students “studying” each others anatomy…if ya know what I mean.

I guess that’s what I get for not being able to study at home.

I’ve seriously notice the same thing all the time… I’m in a library studying for Gen. Chem I exam as well (T- 2.5 hrs to Start!), and the 2 dudes sitting on a table a few feet away are playing Counterstrike Source

I could tell from the: “Dude! Stop camping!” “WTF” “Get the AWP”

For some reason I find it irritating now, but not when I did my 1st undergrad. I think I’m turning prehistoric.

WOW one campus I’ve been on has cameras in the Library (for security reasons LOL) I think if they did that then wouldn’t it be a laugh for them to get caught? guess library is differnt then when I was growing up? Wheres the witch…I mean Librarian with the attitude ready to toss you out for chewing gum?

I’m back in my little corner…well actually I’m on my 15 minute break at the computer obviously. I wish the librarian was the sort we all remember. This one doesn’t even have an “inside” voice much less a librarian’s whisper. She’s horrible!! She’s loud, giggly, a flirt, and sounds as if she is constantly sucking on helium and she’s about 50 which makes everything else worse.

The library here is actually great at this time. Yesterday I was here during the day 8am-3pm and it was full of the “traditional” generation. At this time it’s very slow and no sleepers nor masturbators.

Well I’ve only got 8 minutes left before I’m back to the books!

OK all y’all are MUCH younger than I am and I gotta tell ya, you sound like a bunch of old farts! So they’re not studying in the library. What else is new? It’s just that back in the day, we didn’t have cell phones as an additional way to lie. Instead, we could go to the library, stare at the same page for hours, or maybe get some magazines and prop them inside our textbooks, then go home hours later and state we’d studied all day.

Speaking for at least some of us here on OPM, if we’d been so dang dedicated to our studies the first go-round, we wouldn’t BE OPMs!!

Mary

Ahhh the ignorance and bliss of youth. Not trying to sound like an old fart just realizing when I hire a new grad and a few weeks realize that they can’t be found working at their desk because they are out “networking” or “researching” it stems, at least partially, back to this “studying” dilemma.

Not trying to make a social commentary BUT at what point do they, we, whomever literally wakeup and fess up to what it is we’re doing and not doing? I don’t take classes with any of these students. I’m at a 4 year university. I’ve gone into the chemistry library to study and it is refreshing to be around others who are “in the hunt” so to speak.

There is a sense of purpose. Sure there are those you catch sleeping but if you look over their shoulder and past the drool you’ll see wet pages with tons of notes and problems and questions.

I guess I am an old fart because a person quickly falls from grace in my mind when they lie or their perception of reality is not even remotely close to what they’re doing.

I guess I’m just a perfectionist or have serious false dilemma issues because you are either doing what you’re supposed to be doing or you’re not. When I was taking classes at this CC there would be so many complaints about the professor not teaching concepts correctly and the book not being readable but then you walk into a study group and they’re talking about how great life will be as doctors…the kind of cars they’ll drive…the places they’ll go…then they bomb the test and it’s everyone else’s fault. The professor’s first question is did you study and why oh why did they ask that because the onslaught of “you just don’t understand how difficult…you just don’t understand how much I…you just don’t understand how much I want this…”…BUT DID YOU STUDY!!!..“Oh…yeah of course”

I see some of this even with other post-baccs at the university now. The questions they ask and how they furiously take notes and ask the professor to repeat that precious but all so cryptic nugget of information he just mentioned…WHEN IT’S ITALICIZED AND IN BOLD PRINT ON PAGE 217 ANYWAY?!?!?

I guess I’m past poking fun and have entered the realm of venting. Sorry about that…

• croooz Said:
Ahhh the ignorance and bliss of youth. Not trying to sound like an old fart just realizing when I hire a new grad and a few weeks realize that they can't be found working at their desk because they are out "networking" or "researching" it stems, at least partially, back to this "studying" dilemma.

Not trying to make a social commentary BUT at what point do they, we, whomever literally wakeup and fess up to what it is we're doing and not doing? I don't take classes with any of these students. I'm at a 4 year university. I've gone into the chemistry library to study and it is refreshing to be around others who are "in the hunt" so to speak.

There is a sense of purpose. Sure there are those you catch sleeping but if you look over their shoulder and past the drool you'll see wet pages with tons of notes and problems and questions.

I guess I am an old fart because a person quickly falls from grace in my mind when they lie or their perception of reality is not even remotely close to what they're doing.

I guess I'm just a perfectionist or have serious false dilemma issues because you are either doing what you're supposed to be doing or you're not. When I was taking classes at this CC there would be so many complaints about the professor not teaching concepts correctly and the book not being readable but then you walk into a study group and they're talking about how great life will be as doctors....the kind of cars they'll drive....the places they'll go.....then they bomb the test and it's everyone else's fault. The professor's first question is did you study and why oh why did they ask that because the onslaught of "you just don't understand how difficult....you just don't understand how much I.....you just don't understand how much I want this.....".....BUT DID YOU STUDY!!!....."Oh....yeah of course"

I see some of this even with other post-baccs at the university now. The questions they ask and how they furiously take notes and ask the professor to repeat that precious but all so cryptic nugget of information he just mentioned.....WHEN IT'S ITALICIZED AND IN BOLD PRINT ON PAGE 217 ANYWAY?!?!?

I guess I'm past poking fun and have entered the realm of venting. Sorry about that......

Oh trust me, I've had this same rant in my mind over and over. There's a pre-med student in my gen chem 1 class and, despite the fact that we're only covering very basic stuff such as balancing chemical equations, determining mass ratios to derive empirical formulas from, etc., he finds a way to ask the most inane question every chance possible and he asks so many questions such as this that it actually holds up the entire lecture and how much material we go over is diminished slightly.

See the problem I have with people is not only will they lie about what they're doing (such as studying), which I don't mind as much since if they want to fail that's their business, but when they hold up everyone else because they don't want to pay attention then it pisses me off. Maybe I'm being too hard and some people just don't absorb the material as much? Perhaps, but especially with such a simplistic topic, I think not paying attention is far more accurate of an explanation. The fact that sometimes he doesn't show up to lecture and other times he shows up 10+ min late probably lends a lot more credibility to lack of attention.