In need of advice - 28 yr old single mom

I’ve spent the last 10 yrs working in health and science related fields (dental assisting & teaching botany). I have volunteered at clinics and have been involved in psychosocial & clinical research. I earned my associates degree at a little no name community college. I also worked for a non-profit organization whose focus was on public health.

I had my daughter at a very young age and didn’t think it was possible. I’ve spent so much thinking it was too late for me. I received very good grades but being a single mom with no support made it very difficult to continue.

I have just come around to the idea of applying to medical school. I’m in the process of applying to a 4yr (undergrad) program for my bachelor’s degree and finding it difficult as a transfer student. I have wanted to be a physician for as long as I can remember. If I don’t do it now I will never do it. I will be 31 when applying to medical school. Is that realistic? Is there anyone here who can offer me some advice and or encouragement? Everyone around me thinks its crazy and that I should be “realistic”.

Of ocurse you can pursue this if it is what you really want. You are also not alone, many on this forum probably have some that might think that they are crazy, but that is their (the person who thinks it is crazy) issue, not yours. They could be jealous that unlike you they are just doing “what is expected” or they have just let their own dreams died because they were more concentrated on the numbers (i.e. age) than what they wanted.

Why do you think you are having problem transferring? Do you an AA degree or an AS degree? Aren’t there any uni’s that have partnerships in a way with the community college. Sometimes if you are transferring with an AS, you might be required to take more liberal arts classes.

How was your GPA from the community college? If it was 3.0 or greater, you should have no difficulty transferring to a 4 yr. What are the difficulties you are facing? Are you applying to a particular major in which you don’t have the lower level prerequisites? Have you spoken with anyone at the 4 year?

I know it is a lot of questions, but I’ve found that sometimes you need to dig deeper. Believe me, you will find that you will have to do this when you have patients because usually what the problem is, is a lot deeper than the presenting signs and symptoms.

Good luck and welcome!

31?? heck, that’s not all that far off traditional student, is it?! Starting med school at 31 is definitely possible and actually not all that uncommon. Do well in your bachelors program and keep your eye on the prize when you’re feeling frustrated and/or overwhelmed. I applaud you for taking these initial steps in fulfilling your dream!

Hi dom03,

I am new to this group as well. I am 28 years old and have similar concerns. I am a mother of two and have recently transferred from a community college to a 4-yr state university, where I will be starting this fall. You are however, a few steps ahead of me, as I did not get my associates degree, but rather transferred with about 50 non-science and general ed credits. I have a done a ton of research about becoming a doctor from the internet to reading every book I can find on the subject from the library at school and public, and anyone that is willing to talk to me about it. I just soak it up and I am excited to be pursuing my life long dream. A couple things I’ve learned throughout this research is consistent from book-to-book, and website-to-website, that helped me understand this process a little bit more.

1 We have the best chances of getting into the school(s) in the state we live in, for me that is Oregon Health & Sciences University (MD school) & soon-to-be Western University (DO school). So look at what schools you are most interested in, and then see what their admission criteria is.

2 All of our undergrad science classes should be taken at a 4-yr university, so anything you took for your associates might need to be taken over, but it also might be helpful considering the MCAT has a ton of science questions that you need fresh in your head so-to-speak.

It seems like you have a wonderful slew of science and medically related experience which is also necessary. I on the other hand will have to work on that as I go through school. In high school (many years ago),I was in a health occupations program where we worked in a hospital along with classroom curriculum to obtain a CNA license. I had every intention of becoming a doctor, but instead of going to traditional college, I decided on a whim to turn down a tennis scholarship and pursue an artistic venture. I enrolled in cosmetology school and became an esthetician, hair stylist & nail tech, and have been licensed and practicing up until last year when I went back to school. I enjoyed the aspect of working with a diverse group of people and feeling “like” a doctor when I could “prescribe” a certain shampoo or facial product regimen to my clients. Ultimately it was just not fulfilling. So after 7 years I decided to go back to school and pursue my original calling. I have desired to do this my whole life, and there is nothing more satisfying than the process of achieving this goal. I, like you, will be 31 when I apply to med school, but I am not looking at it as a negative thing. In fact, I think age and experience can only benefit you and your perspective on life and others. And don’t let other people get you down. I’m in that same boat with you. I have a lot less support from friends and family than I thought. In fact, I have a new rule for myself . . . my goals are on a need-to-know basis, simply because of the all the negative feedback I have received thus far. It’s either “don’t you know that doctors never see their families?” or “how do you feel about going to school when your kids are so young, aren’t you worried your going to miss things?” I think it is only natural for parents to be concerned about these things when choosing to pursue a demanding career like medicine, but I wouldn’t change my mind for anything. My biggest mistake is not going after this earlier. I think that when you find what fulfills you, you won’t find the sacrifices so burdensome and ultimately will be a happier mommy and doctor!

• OregonDuckPreMed Said:
Hi dom03,

I am new to this group as well. I am 28 years old and have similar concerns. I am a mother of two and have recently transferred from a community college to a 4-yr state university, where I will be starting this fall. You are however, a few steps ahead of me, as I did not get my associates degree, but rather transferred with about 50 non-science and general ed credits. I have a done a ton of research about becoming a doctor from the internet to reading every book I can find on the subject from the library at school and public, and anyone that is willing to talk to me about it. I just soak it up and I am excited to be pursuing my life long dream. A couple things I've learned throughout this research is consistent from book-to-book, and website-to-website, that helped me understand this process a little bit more.

*1* We have the best chances of getting into the school(s) in the state we live in, for me that is Oregon Health & Sciences University (MD school) & soon-to-be Western University (DO school). So look at what schools you are most interested in, and then see what their admission criteria is.

*2* All of our undergrad science classes should be taken at a 4-yr university, so anything you took for your associates might need to be taken over, but it also might be helpful considering the MCAT has a ton of science questions that you need fresh in your head so-to-speak.

It seems like you have a wonderful slew of science and medically related experience which is also necessary. I on the other hand will have to work on that as I go through school. In high school (many years ago),I was in a health occupations program where we worked in a hospital along with classroom curriculum to obtain a CNA license. I had every intention of becoming a doctor, but instead of going to traditional college, I decided on a whim to turn down a tennis scholarship and pursue an artistic venture. I enrolled in cosmetology school and became an esthetician, hair stylist & nail tech, and have been licensed and practicing up until last year when I went back to school. I enjoyed the aspect of working with a diverse group of people and feeling "like" a doctor when I could "prescribe" a certain shampoo or facial product regimen to my clients. Ultimately it was just not fulfilling. So after 7 years I decided to go back to school and pursue my original calling. I have desired to do this my whole life, and there is nothing more satisfying than the process of achieving this goal. I, like you, will be 31 when I apply to med school, but I am not looking at it as a negative thing. In fact, I think age and experience can only benefit you and your perspective on life and others. And don't let other people get you down. I'm in that same boat with you. I have a lot less support from friends and family than I thought. In fact, I have a new rule for myself . . . my goals are on a need-to-know basis, simply because of the all the negative feedback I have received thus far. It's either "don't you know that doctors never see their families?" or "how do you feel about going to school when your kids are so young, aren't you worried your going to miss things?" I think it is only natural for parents to be concerned about these things when choosing to pursue a demanding career like medicine, but I wouldn't change my mind for anything. My biggest mistake is not going after this earlier. I think that when you find what fulfills you, you won't find the sacrifices so burdensome and ultimately will be a happier mommy and doctor!

While I agree that it is strongly recommended that you take the prereqs in a 4-year, if you do take them in a CC, you do not have to retake them unless it has been a long period of time since you first took them.

If you do take your prereqs in a CC, it's strongly recommended that you take some advanced science classes in the 4-yr. Do well on the MCAT (the great equalizer), and less focus will be on the CC GPA.

Thank you all for your advice and encouraging words. Its comforting to know that it is possible and I’m not “crazy” after all!

I’m going to concentrate on doing well and the MCAT and hope for the best in couple of years. I live in NYC and the med schools here are very competitive and I’m just afraid I won’t make the cut.

Thanks again!

While I haven’t really begun down the path to med school yet, I do know what it’s like being a single mom in school. People love to tell you that you can’t - probably because they can’t imagine juggling it all. BUT if you want something badly enough, I truly believe you will make it happen. Time management is crucial, as is letting go of the “mommy guilt” that comes with the balancing act. I’m 31 now, contemplating a start at med school at 34 - inspired by my mother in law who started med school at 34 with 3 kids. My MIL is now 63 and still in practice - she figures she’ll retire around 70 (her mother lived to be 89 & her father lived to be 96). Good luck finding the right 4 year school!