In need of sincere advice

I’m having a hard time deciding on where to take my prereqs. I’m looking at the structured/formal programs but unfortunately I live in Houston TX and there are no formal schls like the Goucher or Bryn Mawr’s. What are the chances of getting into these schools premed prgs? I am married with 2 kids and my husband is fully supportive of my leaving for a yr or a little over and he thinks it’s a better choice for me but I’m really worried for my kids, 3.5 and 2 years of age. My option to these schls will be to stay in Texas and try TCU, St. Thomas, UTDallas and the rest. Also does anyone know anything about the TSU and HBU post bacc prgs. Any info would help.

I’m not from TX, so I can’t comment specifically on those programs. I’ll have to leave that to another OPMer.

In terms of your chances of getting in to a certain program, that depends on a number of factors, including how competitive the school is (i.e., GPA requirements etc.) and how competitive you are as a candidate (i.e., your own undergrad GPA). Each school is different in this respect, so my recommendation is to contact the schools you are interested in and find out from them whether you are a good applicant for their program.

But before you get this far, you do have to weigh the pros and cons of doing a formal program vs. a DIY route. (Please note that I am doing a formal post-bac program right now, so I do believe there is some benefit in doing one, but I don’t think they are for everyone or for every situation.) Being away from your children and husband would indeed be very difficult, and you definitely have to think about that very hard when you consider whether to do an out-of-town formal program.

As I mentioned, I am doing a formal program, and I really like it. But many people go the DIY route. A formal program is no magic bullet for getting into med school, it’s just one way to get the pre-reqs done. And it’s definitely not the only way.

Best wishes as you make your decision; I know it’s a difficult one. Keep us posted.

Thanks Terra, I know it’s a tough decision to take but I’ve done it before. My undergrad was out-of-sate but no kids involved then though. My undergrad GPA is 3.97, took Phys I & II and Chem I but since they are all over 5 yrs, I plan to retake everything. I just wish Texas has more choices. Thanks for putting in your thoughts. Wish you the best in ur prg.